"Optimized" Rig for Jamming to Backing Tracks

Started by des0free, September 28, 2023, 03:58:55 PM

des0free

I've been experimenting with rigs for live jamming to backing tracks, acoustic guitar + vocal. After much testing, I've settled on the below - sounds great, is simple (no laptop/phone, interface, or separate mixer needed), and lets you do everything with footswitches:

- Acoustic Guitar and Mic into TC Helicon Play Acoustic Pedal. Guitar and vocal effects and 4-channel mixer (mono guitar + vocal, + stereo backing track). 100 slots for guitar/vocal settings, change via footswitches. Outputs 2 XLR for stereo PA speakers.

- Boss RC-5 pedal - to play backing tracks, not used as a looper. Holds 100 backing tracks (24 bit WAV files) and play/stop when you hit the pedal. Optional FS7 footswitch allows you to select backing track, otherwise you have to bend down and turn the knob (not so bad). Outputs stereo which I feed into "aux" input on TC pedal.

- Two JBL EON612 PA speakers (12" bass + tweeter). High-quality, can get loud, thumping bass. Was lucky to get them for less than half price as they are discontinued.  (You could also just use 1 as a monitor, with a mono backing track, as it is plenty loud...)

- Guitar: Taylor GS mini with Amumu SP60 magnetic pickup - the "Bodyrez" effect in the TC pedal makes it sound good.

- Vocal Mic: I have a CAD D90 dynamic mic and AT-2010 condenser mic. Both sound good, the condenser maybe slightly better, but could be more prone to feedback.

pedalsSm.jpg

PAsm.jpg

pickupSm.jpg 
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR