Joyo American Sound JF-14 Fender Amp Simulator

Started by Ted, September 27, 2023, 02:23:13 AM

Ted

This post is mostly for people who already have a Joyo American Sound JF-14 – which seems to be a few of you.

A couple of months ago I asked for advice on how to use my  Micro BR as an "amp on the verge of breakup" with a Tubescreamer. I wanted help tweaking one of the COSM amp models in the Micro BR. As happens here on Songcrafters, I got some great advice, including the predictable "Buy this other thing" advice that I didn't want to hear. (Thanks, Zoltan.) The "other thing" being recommended was the Joyo American Sound JF-14, which is a dirt-cheap pedal that does one thing: emulates a Fender 57 Deluxe amp. JF-14 fanboys took over the post. Bluesberry has one. Farrell Jackson is a fan. AndyR was lurking in the post and he became a convert. And even though the logistics weren't easy here in Madagascar, I got one too. (Only mine is branded Harley Benton).

TLDR: People LOVE this pedal.

So yesterday I found this article by Anthony Sostre: JOYO American Sound Review: Classic Fender Amp Tone for $30?!

Sostre says that the Joyo JF-14 is a clone of a Tech 21 Blonde – which has better documentation in its manual (PDF). So you can adapt the settings from that manual to the JF-14.

Tech 21 Blonde.jpeg

The article also has information on how to modify the JF-14 to remove the built in cab sim and run it though an IR Cab Sim. I'm not about to do that, but some of you solder-iron warriors might.

I'm looking forward to playing with my JF-14 a bit more in coming weeks. These days I don't have much time for music at all, and the time that I do have is taken up by learning songs on bass for my weekend band. But I hope to post something before too many more weeks pass.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

T.C. Elliott

Thanks for this. I just dug mine out and used it on a recording last week. It will likely become a regular piece of gear for ease of use.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

AndyR

Thanks for that Ted. I knew it was a clone of a Tech 21 pedal, never crossed my mind to look for a manual!

I've been mainly using the British Sound version in the recordings I'm working on and Jamkazam sessions with the other guitarist.

But I've just taken delivery of a new Gretsch thing (G2622T) and that is BEGGING to be played through a Fender-like amp.

I can confirm the settings on that screen shot, though! Treat it like that and it does those sounds.

Interesting about the disabling the cab sim info. I don't intend to at the moment, mainly because it goes in the front of a clean valve amp and does it's job just as well with the cab sim in place. However, I have started drooling over the new OX pedal that does "OX" IR type stuff - that would be somewhat useful for many of my amp-sim machines AND at least one of the valve amps.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Zoltan

Quote from: AndyR on October 18, 2023, 11:00:59 AMI have started drooling over the new OX pedal that does "OX" IR type stuf

Yeah, that OX stuff is lovely... Oh well, who i am kidding? It seems like all of that UAD stuff is great!

Luckily with this kind of tech there's going to be a lot of competition, discounts, cheaper prices and new models coming from every direction :) There's no point of paying too much.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

AndyR

Quote from: Zoltan on October 18, 2023, 11:36:13 AMThere's no point of paying too much.

Yep, these two Joyo pedals do the job (the British Sound has a good bit of hiss - like Marshall would, so nothing terrible), the cab sim in there is better than the one in one of my valve amps, and...

... the Ox pedal would maybe take it from 98% there to 98.5% ... and would cost more than 10 times one of these pedals!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

bruno

I did some experimentation a time ago with these pedals (I still have them). I tried them a few days back, and remembered that they had a high frequency tizzyness that I did like. Anyway, this was my solution to that

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=19688

I place it in a small transistor amp, and very low volumes - I could probably use a EQ pedal to clean that up as DI, but it sounds good. I was trying to solve no/very low volume recording for late at night recording sessions.

However, these experiments ultimately led me to the kemper. A cautionary tale.

Oh - and this was DI'd - https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=19590

recorder
Boss BR-1600