Vote for the Q4 (Oct/Nov/Dec) 2023 "Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, September 19, 2023, 07:22:51 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from October 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023. Voting starts now and runs for 10 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on Friday, September 29th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Originals" festival. Please vote in both polls.

Remember, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

• 21st Century Songs - Covers of songs released since Jan 1, 2001. Most of us are older and probably don't have much interest in the music of the 21st century. But that's what makes this an interesting challenge. Find a 21st century song that you think has some potential underneath all the autotune and gimmicks and transform it into something good.
  • Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band Fest - Cover any song by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.
  • KinksFest 2023 - Cover any song by The Kinks.
  • YachtRockFest - Bust your old leisure suit out of storage, mix a couple of Piña Coladas, and cover one of these yacht rock classics. Obvious Yacht Rock songs that may not be on the list will also be accepted.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Voting closed. The winner is:

21st Century Songs

Covers of songs released since Jan 1, 2001. Find a 21st century song that you think has some potential underneath all the autotune and gimmicks and transform it into something good.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Great Fest!

Only the most crotchety geezers among us (and I know there are a few) won't be able to find a great song to cover. For me, the challenge will be to...

Quote from: 64Guitars on September 29, 2023, 07:27:50 PMFind a 21st century song that you think has some potential underneath all the autotune and gimmicks

Fortunately, I have an 11-year-old girl in my life. She frequently gets hooked on songs that make me cringe. But we also discuss the content of the songs, and I end up liking quite a few of them.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Quote from: Ted on September 30, 2023, 03:43:10 AMOnly the most crotchety geezers among us (and I know there are a few) won't be able to find a great song to cover.

I can imagine most of us will be competing on who gets to cover all the Cardi B and Nicki Minaj songs!

On a more serious note (let's make that an Em). There's one song i could imagine covering. The downside is that i'm running on empty and already did a quick one take test and got bored...

Let's see how this goes. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of stuff y'all are able to dig out!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

ODH

There's a ton of great music around now if you look outside of the commercial charts.

Also the century is nearly a quarter of the way through already.  Songs from twenty years ago still qualify.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

64Guitars

Songs chosen for the 21st Century Songs fest must have been originally released since Jan 1, 2001 to qualify. Songs that were originally released before Jan 1, 2001 won't be accepted as they're not in the spirit of the fest. The idea of the 21st Century Songs fest is to take a modern pop song by the likes of Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Little Mix, etc. and make it your own.

Also, the songs must be from commercial releases. We're not accepting covers of songs by other Songcrafters members. Those are only accepted in our TributeFests. We've had three TributeFests so far. If you want another TributeFest, suggest it in the "Suggestions for future festivals" topic.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website