"Meehhh" - A Live Trio Jam

Started by Blooby, June 27, 2009, 04:56:58 AM

Blooby

Trio
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Greeny said a while ago about a previous post: "It's too short...it feels like it should just run and run."  Apparently, I took that to heart.  In other words, this post is all his fault. 

Originally a BR-1600 live recording done in one of our living room jams, I went back to add the two Kaossilator bits after the fact in the Micro BR.  This one had a new drummer playing the electronic kit (His 70's-vibe "thwacka-thwacka" drum fill at 7:22 is about the greatest thing I've ever heard in my life), a bass player, and myself.  We got tired of waiting for the other guitarist and keyboard player to show up, so I hit "Record" and just started playing.  The others followed...simple and serendipitous.

It's funny.  The last few times we got together, we played "Badge" by Cream, "Can't You See" and "Carolina Sunset" by Marshall Tucker, "Dreams" by Buddy Miles, and a couple Tom Petty tunes.  We also started (or at least dabbled with extremely brief portions of) "Them Changes" also by Buddy Miles, Your Time is Gonna Come" by Zep, "Free Ride" by Edgar Winter (Man, I'd love to work up that one) as well as a few others, but I keep coming back to this simple two-chord-and-one-key-shift jam.  Who knows...maybe my perception is that our personalities come through more.   

I figure I had a choice where to post it, and since Bosko is freaking me out (in the best way) with his meticulously crafted pop masterpieces in the 1600 forum, I'll let our little raw jam have its brief moment in the sun here instead.  Perhaps I'll fully orchestrate "Chopsticks" into a prog epic and consider it for the 1600 forum.  Yes...yes...I hear kettle drums and a massive brass section...perhaps a choir of eunuchs!  HA, HA, HA!!! (<--maniacal laughter).

Sorry about any fidelity issues.  I had to squash it to a 64 KB/S mono recording.

Peace.

Blooby

The Reverend 48

Great Jam I had to listen 3 times to pick all the bits out and they are all excellent
particularly the bass

Pine

Blooby...this to me showcases the freedom that music allows all those who partake of it. No rules, no complex patterns, just time and space and the opportunity to give your inner self a chance to release whatever it wants to. Jams like this are often so therapeutic. Just listening to this was for me. I love the free form flow. The solid and at times creative bass, subtle drums , and the wonderful guitar playing....the cool tones you used and the great dynamics that kept it alive and interesting.  Phish and The Dead come to mind for comparisons..but that's irreleveant. Formatted songs are great and have their place, for sure, but for the musician, jams like this are what it's all about. Laughing with friends, a couple cold ones and whatever, and a couple hours away from the responsibilities of everyday life. You captured it all here for me...and i wasn't even there. Thank you!!  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200

lg

This is a really great jam!
Definately  reminds me of Jerry Garcia's style...
A jam to just lay back and let the music carry you away.
You use some very cool effects on your guitar also.

This is a keeper.

LG

nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

OsCKilO

So this is how good a live jam can get!

A perfect example!

I could leave this on all day!

Great work!

T(Osckilo)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Bluesberry

Agree with all above, especially Pinedogs excellent essay on free form jamming.  Really lovely.  I really need to find some guys in my area and start jamming like this, It sounds like you started to float off the ground at a few spots.  I also could listen to this all day, infact this one is going into my IPod so I can take this one to work and listen all day at work.  You are a wonderful, expressive, creative, great guitarist.  I am very happy to have heard this wonderful jam.  You guys have CHEMISTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great little rhythm section you have there!  Those two are PRO.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: Pinedog on June 27, 2009, 05:37:37 AMYou captured it all here for me...and i wasn't even there. Thank you!!  8)

I was thinking the same thing, so why try to rephrase that profound statement.

The three guy jam with no buttwipe singer around - although we were nowhere near as talented - brings back lots of great memories that I've had with my friends. I'm gonna make some phone calls tonight!

I love the envelope filter and leslie sounding parts - tell me please what you are using?

And lastly, absolutely fantastic playing - this will be played many times.

See you around,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Blooby

Quote from: launched on June 27, 2009, 08:36:13 AMTell me please what you are using?

I'm running everything directly into the recorder, so I couldn't use the included modeling when the device is in multitrack mode.

I'm using the cheapest guitar I own (a Squier Telecaster), an M-Audio Black Box for the modeling, an MXR Auto-Q for the envelope filter, and a Dunlop Uni-vibe for the Leslie sound.

The bassist was running his Fender Precision through a Line 6 Pocket Pod.

The drummer is playing through a Yamaha DTXpressIV electronic drum kit.  Were it not for that investment, there would be no jamming at the House of Blooby (perhaps the name of my inevitable post-modern neo-industrial band...  What the?).

Thank you for all your nice words.  Pinedog, I think you hit the nail on the head.  I never feel freer or lighter than when I am improvising, even over something as simple as this two-chord pissant progression.

Blooby

Geir

Great Jam .... in addition to what others have mentioned I also sensed a Zappaesque feel in this ... especially in the guitar playing..... a good thing in my book
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Glenn Mitchell

Fine, fine playing and I'm jealous you have guys like that to jam with too. Don't let that drummer get away.
It's tough to keep up an extended solo and keep it interesting. The Kaossilator bits work great too.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks