Pretty Polly (nothing to do with parrots)

Started by Ray Brookes, September 02, 2023, 02:02:38 PM

Ray Brookes

Pretty Polly
Time:
0:00
Volume:
It don't take long

Pretty Polly dreaming for that landslide
Nobody has seen that well-hidden bad side
Staring into the camera looking so sincere
An advocate for anything just tick your votes right here
Switched on; tuned in nose sniffing out changes
Anything political or media strangeness.

It don't take long
To see their little game
It don't take long
To know they're all the same.

Pretty Polly sweet to the electorate around her
Yet even in the shallow end any day could flounder
Taking no chances no opportunities missed
Handshakes all shook all babies kissed
One eye on the opinion polls a political maze
Political career down here always measured in days.

Pretty Polly twisting all suggestions
Obscuring any facts avoiding many questions
Pretty Polly ready to flim or flam
Suspect in some development scam
Politics is a bitch now she knows what they meant
Just name, shame and blame on the previous government.

It don't take long
To see their little game
It don't take long
To know they're all the same.
Ray Brookes

Mike_S

Lovely, well said Ray. Really sensitively done. Considering the subject matter, I think your less is more approach really hits the spot much more so than screaming vocals or heavy guitars would have done.

I think many of us can project the story onto a politician in our various countries. This could certainly have been written especially for one of our own politicians in Ireland. Our government appear to be on a mission to be the most "progressive" and lead the world into changing things as quickly as possible, without really giving a shit about the outcomes. A lot of these new policies you see throughout the world are very fashionable and win a lot of votes, but long term a lot of damage is being done.

But sorry, yes another beauty from you Ray. I think we have heard the guest vocalist before have we?!

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

wow Ray, a real truth hitter here... I love this... the music helps deliver the knockout punch.  It charms you but underneath it the wisdom of the music cuts to the bone... and that helps deliver the lyrics that get to the point...

we have too many of these types here... and not just in actual politics... offices etc...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

hardlock

Very nice! Others have already stated very in-dept reviews so I'll just add that this is a totally pro production (as always) and a very enjoyable listen! 8)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Bluesberry

Fantastic track..such a warm and beautiful sounding recording...yet such biting lyrics....brilliant

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Ah, I was really hoping it 'was' a song about a parrot, lol.
Another great song ray. Thought provoking lyrics and fantastic music. Really sets the mood for the story. The lead guitar reminds me of mark knofler. I do like the female vocal parts too.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Farrell Jackson

This song is mellow but mighty, Ray! I like the harmonized vocals on "It don't take long". That is an excellent hook. Your lyrics and vocals are really good throughout. The sax and the lead guitar add lonely highlights to the music. Well done!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Mike Huntingford

Well, please excuse me for a second as I put my socks back on - as you knocked them off! This immediately captured me... the very effective use of the female vocals keep me want to hear more of them. You and I share a similar approach to song composition. I can tell you spent a great deal of time of instrument selection as you knew the atmosphere you wanted to create.

If possible, we should collaborate on a song.

I really appreciate the artistry here.

Mime
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper