Typical conversation with spouse about gear testing

Started by des0free, August 26, 2023, 12:54:30 PM

des0free

S: you made a giant mess in the living room AGAIN - clean it up!!!

Me: that's not a mess, I'm just testing  new gear

S: you bought new gear?

Me: Uhhhh, no, I mean I'm just testing old gear

S: it's a total mess, clean it up

Me: no, that's how it's supposed to look when you're testing gear

S: I don't care, clean it up [Unheard, because a backing track is blasting]

Me: huh, did you say something? [Unheard, because backing track is still blasting.]

S: why do you need to test gear all the time?

Me: to optimize the sound

S: why do you need to optimize the sound?

Me: I don't understand the question

S: why can't you set it up  in a neat way and then leave it alone?

Me: because with gear testing it is about the lifelong journey, not the destination  [unheard, because backing track is blasting again]...

S: What?

Me: to do what you're asking I will need all new gear and a full wireless guitar and microphone system.  And if you want me to be quieter, I will also require wireless in ear monitors.

S: that sounds expensive

Me: yeah, but it's worth it, and I will also need a new guitar that is compatible with the system

S: [Walks out of room shaking head with Hopeless look on her face]

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

Hahahaha, that is funny Doug ;D. I solved that problem some years ago. I have a separate, dedicated room/studio which has a locked door that has a "Do Not Disturb - Session In Progress" sign that I hang up. So I don't have to clean up when testing gear or until I can't stand the clutter anymore, lol. 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

that is so funny Doug and I think for sure I get it... yes... they just don't understand....

I am with Farrell on this one.... gotta get some territory that is yours!  good luck!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

I want one of those classic white with red bulb "Recording" lights.

Zoltan

There's only one solution... Mancave. Batmobile optional.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Greeny

Divorce or a shed seem to be the most popular options for men of a certain age  ;D

Ray Brookes

My wife said I have too many guitars "You can only play one guitar at a time, why do you need so many?"

My answer? "How many pairs of shoes do you have and how many do you wear at one time?"
Ray Brookes

StephenM

Quote from: Ray Brookes on April 17, 2024, 11:31:10 AMMy wife said I have too many guitars "You can only play one guitar at a time, why do you need so many?"

My answer? "How many pairs of shoes do you have and how many do you wear at one time?"

perfect answer Ray...

I was just reading this again and I almost never would have forgotten that I read this before... it seemed brand new... I loved it once again.
so well written Doug and fun and certainly understandable.
so you need a studio... it is hard to do but sometimes ya just gotta take over some real estate...

I got a new guitar just the other day...The Shecter C-1 Platinum Blue Diamond Series.  It was running any where from 625 to 750 as I have had my eye on it for several years... but Guitar Center has a sale running until May 1 and i was able to get it for 500.... boo yeah!

rock on people... rock on and claim territory like you are from below the southern border... claim territory like europeans coming over to the new land here... claim territory like people have always done... you might not be popular for a while... but you could get a ranch if you are clever enough (me sitting here with 1 acre of land living in a double wide!  lol.... I love my place.  But I did finally claim the large family room for a studio... after all, every person in this household plays music, although I mostly use it... the others do as well... )

however I am wanting a place of my own now... because at the least convenient times the blender runs or my son is sleeping or you name it... we gotta guest... oh well... ya gotta have a dream...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner