Grab a beer or two before settling in to read this.

Started by Blooby, June 26, 2009, 04:02:17 PM

Greeny

Funny... the Beatles song that I struggle with most is 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'. I believe the Beatles (apart from McCartney who wrote it!) also reviled it. Macca thought it was the greatest song ever and a sure-fire hit. I was reading that it took the longest recording time of any of their songs, and even Ringo lost patience with it. John dismissed it as another of Paul's 'Granny songs'. Anyway, that's the ONLY one I struggle with.

Back to the proper subject, things DO change and shift with age. Pink Floyd seemed horribly unfashionable to me when I was a 15 year old into the Pistols, Buzzcocks and Banshees. I deliberately never searched them out, even though I was a massive Kate Bush fan (she was discovered by Dave Gilmour...). But then again, would I have 'got' lyrics like this one from 'Time' at that age. Now I can see they are (maybe) amongst the best, most poignant lyrics ever written...

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

We never stop discovering. My most recent revelation (and one of the greatest ever in my musical life) was the album 'Salty Dog' by Procul Harum. It's a staggering work of genius.

In terms of broad musical influence, there are a few bands that stand out. The trouble is, not everyone would agree! For example, I think that Kraftwerk have had the greatest influence of any band ever. Not everyone will like them, but they shaped so much of what came after... EVERY electro-pop and techno song / band. And then there's someone like The Band, who are still quite un-known to the masses, but who produce music of staggering beauty and skill.

Tough question.... !

Blooby

I don't wish for this to turn into a "most despised ditty" thread, and I think that may be my fault.  I can garner something from my most hated songs.  The 50's-style guitar work in "Crocodile Rock" is great," and the feel-good nature of the other songs I mention are hard to capture on tape (hard drive?).

I initially wanted to expose my nephew to music other than punk, music that I either liked, thought was influential, or is just part of basic musical literacy.  I could only recommend music with which I was familiar, so I asked others to chime in on what they would've included.

One thing that has come out of this is the mentioning of bands that I don't know.  For me, it's been a treat as I get to expand my horizons through people whose opinions I highly value.

For those tuning in, the first post has an attachment of a narration that accompanied a usb drive filled with music.

Peace.

Blooby

Bro

Trying to make your nephews taste wider huh?

Well i know how it feels, i sometimes try to introduce my friends to Hendrix or Clapton, it never worked out though.
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on June 29, 2009, 05:49:21 AMDon't forget The Doors!!!!

Oh, shit, we forgot The Doors! :o  Nice catch, Greeny!  I was just thinking the other day about how completely original they were, at the time and even more so now, 40 years later.  They created such a unique sound, and I just can't think of any other band that is more immediately recognizable from the first note.  Not every song is brilliant, but they really have some gems.

I also read that too about "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."  It never was one of my favorites, and once I read about the trouble and time that was put into it and how much everyone in the band despised it, that definitely influenced me to dislike it even more.  One of the very few Beatles songs I skip just about every time.  I also skip "Yellow Submarine" unless my 3-year-old son is around to listen.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Greeny

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on June 29, 2009, 09:27:59 AM
Quote from: Greeny on June 29, 2009, 05:49:21 AMDon't forget The Doors!!!!

Oh, shit, we forgot The Doors! :o  Nice catch, Greeny!  I was just thinking the other day about how completely original they were, at the time and even more so now, 40 years later.  They created such a unique sound, and I just can't think of any other band that is more immediately recognizable from the first note.  Not every song is brilliant, but they really have some gems.

I also read that too about "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."  It never was one of my favorites, and once I read about the trouble and time that was put into it and how much everyone in the band despised it, that definitely influenced me to dislike it even more.  One of the very few Beatles songs I skip just about every time.  I also skip "Yellow Submarine" unless my 3-year-old son is around to listen.

I have the same issue with Yellow Submarine - and my son is 9, lol. Having said that, the animated film Yellow Submarine is one of my favourite things (not just films) ever. So I'm quite torn on that one!

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on June 29, 2009, 09:32:01 AMHaving said that, the animated film Yellow Submarine is one of my favourite things (not just films) ever. So I'm quite torn on that one!

Agreed!! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels