Grab a beer or two before settling in to read this.

Started by Blooby, June 26, 2009, 04:02:17 PM

Blooby

Greetings, my BR brethren,

I have been scarce lately as work is keeping me busy, but I was also trying to finish this gift. My fifteen year-old nephew will listen to nothing but punk, so to expand his musical horizons a skosh, I thought I would cull together some various musical tid-bits, genres, artists, etc. and plonk it on a USB drive for him.  For the record, I have nothing against punk although I admit I spent more time trying to figure out why "Dance of the Maya (by the Mahavishnu Orchestra)" sounded so otherworldly. 

After ripping a load of music, I then decided to include some sort of narrative.  I know this is lengthy, so you may want to grab a couple beers before investing the time.  And I know I have a few politically incorrect bits of humor here and there, but this really wasn't meant for public consumption.

I have a great deal of respect for the people here, so what I'm really curious about is what other artists you would have included.  Hopefully, my ramblings will entertain.

The attachment is in rich-text format, so I'm hopeful everybody who wishes to see it can access it.

Peace.

Blooby

Bosko Schwartz

Wow, Bloob, this is an amazing collection of music, to be sure.  Oddly enough, I love almost every single piece of music you included here.  I guess we have more in common than I even thought. :o

Question: Exactly what prog albums did you include in your nephew's gift?  I don't see a list of particular albums in that section, just band names.  Also, what Led Zeppelin did you include?

I personally would not have included as many "greatest hits" comps, as an album purist (which I'm sure you are as well), but I do understand your reasoning as an "introduction" to some of these great artists.

There are too many fantastic bands that have existed in this world to list them all, but you sure covered a huge spectrum.  So it's very hard to say what else I would have included, but to name a few, Pink Floyd (in agreement with you), The Flaming Lips, The Zombies, The Kinks, Lionel Belasco, Stevie Wonder (was he even mentioned???), Getz/Gilberto, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, and more early albums by The Who, particularly The Who Sell Out.  Probably more, but hey, you'd go crazy trying to include everything significant to the musical world over the last 100 - 200 years (I noticed you wanted to include some classical -- I, too am a fan of Debussy, Saint-Saëns, and many others).

Nice compilation and great "liner notes!"  I hope he appreciates what you've done for him.  He is very, very lucky.  I was fortunate enough to have parents who owned a ridiculous record collection with many -- if not all -- of the albums you included, plus thousands (literally) more, and I rummaged through that thing like crazy between the ages of 12 - 20 and gave myself a decent musical education. ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Blooby

Yes, Jethro Tull, Zeppelin, and a few other bands got mega-mixes that I made, perhaps three discs worth apiece (if not more).  You're right in assuming I wanted an overview.

I agree with you about the heinous Stevie Wonder omission.  I think I mention that there was a lot of great soul music I would have liked to have included, but time and space got real tight in the end.  If I had more time, I would make another large mix as I have loads of it in the archives.

I also know fusion is usually the antithesis of everybody's cup of tea, but what the hell, it was my list to make.

I know it wasn't the normal brief post.  I appreciate your taking the time to read it and comment.  I truly am intrigued in what other people would've included.

Blooby

Ted

Blooby,

This reminds me of three similar experiments, and I wish you better (or quicker) results.

The Beatles vs. Rap
First was an exchange between two adult men, friends of mine.  One is in his late 40's and a huge fan of The Beatles.  The other is in is mid 30's, and very into Hiphop and Rap. The Beatles fan created a mix CD, and wrote a lengthy essay on the musical, historical, and contextual significance of each song he selected.  The Rap fan made an earnest effort.  In the end, his response was, "Sorry, I still don't get it." In return, the Rap fan made a mix CD and essay.  The results were the same.

The Preloaded Zen
The passive approach: My 13-year-old stepson got a nice Zen MP3 player for Christmas.  Before Christmas, I opened the package with great care and loaded it up with about 8 GB of great music--many from my list of influences.  Then I carefully resealed the box and wrapped it up.  Essay not included.  My hope is that he'll put the thing in shuffle mode, and discover the treasure trove he has in his hand.  So far, it's pretty much Green Day and All American Rejects (his favorites) all the time.

Wear Me Down by Slow Attrition
I have a good friend who has been giving me Bob Dylan CDs for the last 15 years.  At first I listened to them as a courtesy, but didn't hear much that I liked.  Eventually Bob got a tiny little hook in me, and then the CDs got a second hearing, then a third.  I now have even purchased, with my own money, one or two Dylan CDs.  My friend heard two Dylan songs on a mix I created for my wedding reception and announced, "My work is done."

So, Blooby, it's not hopeless.  Just don't push too hard, and give it time along with some sustained subtle exposure.

I haven't read all of your essay yet, but I will, beer in hand.

PS: My sister is homeschooling my six-year-old nephew, and she would love it if my nephew had a great uncle like you to help with his musical education.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Blooby on June 26, 2009, 05:34:15 PMI also know fusion is usually the antithesis of everybody's cup of tea, but what the hell, it was my list to make.

It was cool to see the inclusion of Spectrum, the two Mahavishnu Orchestra albums, and Shakti.  Your musical vocabulary is impressive, my friend. :o
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Davo

I wish my Uncle did something like this for me when I was a kid-I probably wouldnt have appreciated it though.

After a cursory read I noticed a few influencial bands missing, the Stooges, Ramones, Pixies, Sonic Youth, and possibly  Nirvana.  Perhaps some of them are not needed.

And you are right on about the Beatles.  Ill read it again tonight.  First impression is that you can write and have an extensive base of knowledge.  What else have you written pertaining to music?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

launched

That was quite a two beer essay/monologue. It reminds me of the statement that we all should know (Damned if you don't!): "We like both kinds of music - Country AND Western!" I think you are doing only good things for your nephew here.

Influence is common ground, in my opinion. Without it, I would still be listening to what is commercially forced down my throat all the time.

I have owned and enjoyed many artists that you have mentioned - quite an excellent taste in music you have. I don't think Starship Trooper or Yours is no Disgrace have ever left my mp3 player.

I'm glad you took the time to expand a mind. In my world, I would never have known about Kyuss, Clutch, Slayer or Mastodon without my friends - I can't take a 100% dose all the time (Except for Clutch), but the creativity and precision is A1. And then again, they will always dig through my Pixies albums and the like when stopping by.

Anyway, thanks for putting this up.

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

This was modern Music History lesson 101!!!!!!

Blooby, How do you know all of this.......?!?!?!?Q?Q?Q?Q

The onomatopoeia in the Eminem song was very well spotted due to the poor quality of the lyric was! You Must really love poetic verse as well as Music!

Can you expand on the meaning of "Prog" though.....

A friend compaired us to early genisis today during a BBQ......
I didn't know they were Prog until I read this.....

Is Prog limited to what has occured in the past to get music to it's pidgeon hole today, Or is it a something which continues and has more artists added to it's foundations?

Blooby....  You Amaze us and we(Osckilo) offer you our utmost respect!

Peace

T(Osckilo)

I am Honoured to have Collabed' with you!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Bluesberry

Quote from: osckilo on June 26, 2009, 06:47:04 PMCan you expand on the meaning of "Prog" though.....

A friend compaired us to early genisis today during a BBQ......
I didn't know they were Prog until I read this.....
Hey osckilo, We had a great discussion of Prog Rock a while back, see this thread:

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand