Wanna-be Drummers and the Yamaha DD55

Started by Ted, June 26, 2009, 12:13:31 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 27, 2009, 04:47:09 AMPersonally, I didn't think it sounded that great. Very digital, but it could be the quality of the video adding to that.

The DD-55 and DD-65 have their own built-in amp and stereo speakers. I suspect that those YouTube videos were recorded with a microphone from the DD-55/65's small speakers. That, coupled with YouTube's poor quality, probably accounts for the poor sound quality.

I played around with a DD-55 a few years ago in the local music store and I thought it sounded pretty good, even through the built-in speakers. But, to get a good recording, you'd need to record direct from the DD-55/65's stereo output to the BR's stereo Line In.

QuoteWhat I REALLY noticed, was the triggering. There were multiple times that the sound didn't match the strikes, especially on the cymbals for anything faster than a 1/8 beat.

I would imagine that's a sync problem with the YouTube video. I didn't notice any triggering problems when I played the DD-55 in the store.

QuoteWith the cost of this, AND adding the cost for their "accessory" kit to get the pedals, I might just wait to get a full set.

A full drum kit like the Roland HD-1 would certainly be better than a DD-65, if you have the space for it and you can justify the extra expense. Although, there are a few kits, such as the Simmons SD5K, which are less expensive than a DD-65/DK-65 setup.

Another inexpensive, compact, electronic drum option is a midi pad controller such as the Korg padKONTROL, Korg NanoPAD, Akai MPD18, or Akia MPD24. See these videos on the Korg website:

http://www.korg.com/mediaplayer.aspx?md=1853&pd=414

http://www.korg.com/mediaplayer.aspx?md=1852&pd=414

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: SteveB on June 27, 2009, 11:27:11 AM64Gs - Sorry, but the machine I recorded from had only a single output socket. If there's been a version-2 with stereo outputs then fair enough. The two pedal outputs don't provide a stereo output to record from.

The output jack of the DD-55 is a standard 1/4" stereo headphone jack (tip-ring-sleeve). So you need a suitable adapter cable like this to record in stereo:

(Click image to visit web page)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveB

64Gs - Yep, that's what I used. If the result's stereo then all well and done. However, opinions will differ as to what is heard. But thanks for the info, it will also be helpful for others.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Ted

I have the adapters to do this.  If I can steal some time this weekend, I will record into my Micro BR from the DD55 and maybe provide answers to this question.

If anyone wants to come over and do some yard work, I know I'll be able to make the time.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SdC

haha no thanks!
anyway, just noticed the DD65 is on sale locally for 235 euro's; i may give it a go for that money. Definately the cheapest portable kit that has midi in and out.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Ted

01 I'm Fat and Nobody Likes Me
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I did an experiment last night with the DD55.

The results were not promising.  I found that the pads sometimes did not sound at all.  Or when hitting the the same pad twice, the second hit would cancel the first hit.

I'm going to play with the sensitivity setting and see if that helps.  Otherwise, it's Back to the bookstore for this unit!

Attached is the song I did for my experiment.  I added bass and drums to this hilarious video by some kids I don't even know.

It was kind of hard to follow the kid playing rhythm guitar, which adds 1% more suck to my drums.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

DD55-Demo-01
Time:
Volume:
Here are the first three built-in demo songs, which give you a good sense of how realistic the drums sound, if not how responsive the actual play is.

#1 Is kind of a busy synth funk--the theme of a 70's TV show you wouldn't want to watch.

#2 Sounds like a bad imitation of Kansas (the band)

#3 Gives the best idea of how the hand drums sound.

More to follow...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

DD55-Demo-04
Time:
Volume:
The other two built-in demo songs.

#4 Ricky Ricardo digitized (my favorite of the demos)

#5 Jazz.  If I hadn't known, I think hese drums would have passed for real to my ears.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Saijinn Maas

Is this you playing, or are these demos from Yamaha? If it is you, you're very good. ;)

The sound of the kit isn't all that bad actually. I am just a little concerned about something you said in the other post about the triggering. Was it really bad enough that you are thinking of returning it?

Ted

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 29, 2009, 12:26:31 PMIs this you playing, or are these demos from Yamaha? If it is you, you're very good. ;)

The sound of the kit isn't all that bad actually. I am just a little concerned about something you said in the other post about the triggering. Was it really bad enough that you are thinking of returning it?

Only the first one (I'm Fat and Nobody Likes Me) is me on drums--and I think you can hear the triggering issues if you can bear to listen long enough.

All the others are what plays automatically if you press the "Demo" button.  I recorded them on the Micro BR in MP3 mode with no treatments added.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac