Capo trick for overdrive leads?

Started by hardlock, July 23, 2023, 10:22:48 PM

hardlock

Is this anything? I want to use an overdrive distorted lead in a song but the "background noise" is a problem. This sound is primarily from the open strings vibrating while playing and figured if I was in the same key, it wouldn't matter as much. The key being played is G so putting the capo on the G fret let's me do open pull-offs to my hearts content.

The patch being used is on the BR-600 (fixedwah) and seems like it just won't shut up w/o palm muting. Not any way to play a lead I don't think (at least I can't) but feel I'm cheating using the capo? :-\
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Zoltan

I'm not quite sure if i got the concept, but some shredders use the string dampeners in their guitars. Those are some cheesy looking gadgets and as far from rock'n'roll i could imagine :D But in the context of studio recordings everything goes.

Seeing a technical metal bands play live with guitars hiked up their chin with those string dampeners is the modern day variant of Spinal Tap ;)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Blooby

Albert Collins, the Master of the Telecaster, the Ice Man, used to play in some oddball tuning and would just move the capo for every song.

Blooby

Farrell Jackson

I've seen Jimmy Vaughn, in videos (Fabulous Thunderbirds), using a capo on the 5th fret to play some blues leads. It looked like he was playing in a standard tuning. I've not tried that but I'm sure it would work fine. Sometimes, when I play slide in the studio, I wrap a string cleaning cloth around the low E and A strings to keep them silent. I place it just in front of the bridge to dampen them in case I get overzealous with the slide. That way my left-hand index finger doesn't have to do the damping on all six strings. It works.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Blooby

When I play slide, I need to dampen every string so the neighborhood cats don't attack.

hardlock

Quote from: Blooby on July 24, 2023, 08:15:26 AMWhen I play slide, I need to dampen every string so the neighborhood cats don't attack.

Good one! I can relate! !@013
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations:

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

hardlock

Quote from: Zoltan on July 24, 2023, 04:02:31 AMI'm not quite sure if i got the concept,

It's the unwanted open strings sounding either from poor playing (in my case) or from the other strings not being played but vibrating with their harmonics. If tuned to the key you're playing, they blend ok but if in a different key they sound as wrong notes. Hope that makes sense.
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations:

hardlock

Quote from: Blooby on July 24, 2023, 06:12:53 AMAlbert Collins, the Master of the Telecaster, the Ice Man, used to play in some oddball tuning and would just move the capo for every song.

Blooby

Funny you should mention Albert. I was in a high-school "new age" band that opened for him at a private party in Palos Verdes California in the late 60's. Always been a big fan.
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations: