La maison sur le port, ,Amalia Rodrigez song

Started by Jean Pierre, July 17, 2023, 11:14:30 PM

Jean Pierre

LA MAISON PRES DU PORT render MP3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Amália Rodrigues, born in Lisbon on July 23, 1920, died in Lisbon on October 6, 1994, was a fado singer.

Fado is the cultural equivalent of the blues
An essential Portuguese musical style, fado, which means destiny, is a melancholy song. It expresses a certain nostalgia for something lost or never attained. Always accompanied by a "guitarra" (a kind of mandolin-like cistrum) and a "violão" (acoustic guitar)

Amalia Rodrigues sang the French version of this song, which was recently covered by the singer Sanseverino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs3CI0f5mT0
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

BerryPatch

Tres bien JP! Nice arrangement and great vocals here! I've never hear of Fado before, very interesting!

Jean Pierre

Thanks BP

Yes, I love world music and Portugal is well represented by fado, which is often compared to blues themes (although musically it's totally different).

I love the typical combination of nylon acoustic guitar and the Portuguese guitarra, which has a very typical pearl sound.

here's an example of classic fado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXr0zVt-BxY
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

StephenM

pour une chanson supposée mélancolique, cela me semble sacrément heureux... !

J'adore la basse par rapport à cet accordéon... et votre voix est vraiment top...

merveilleux merveilleux JP!

for a supposed melancholic song this sure sounds darned happy to me...!

I love the bass vs that accordion... and your vocals are very tops...

wonderful wonderful JP!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

Jaunty as heck. Was surprised at the melancholy tag. Love that gypsy solo. Big smiles.

A great tune to start the day.

Blooby

Mike_S

Brilliant JP. You sure enjoyed doing this one. The playing is great. Love the guitar solo near the end. Lovely jazzy/bluesy feel too.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Jean Pierre

Quotefor a supposed melancholic song this sure sounds darned happy to me...!

yes Stephen, although this song is by Amalia Rodriguez, the queen of Fado...for that matter this song is not really a typical Fado, although Amalia uses in her record version the typical Fado instrumentation: guitarra and nylon guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd_KOtwc9fc

Mike
QuoteLove the guitar solo near the end.
Blooby
QuoteLove that gypsy solo.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's".

the guy playing the gypsie guitar solo is John Jorgenson
John Richard Jorgenson (born July 6, 1956) is an American musician. Although best known for his guitar work with bands such as the Desert Rose Band and The Hellecasters, he is also proficient on the mandolin, mandocello, Dobro, pedal steel guitar, piano, upright bass, clarinet, bassoon, and saxophone.[3] While a member of the Desert Rose Band, he won the Academy of Country Music's "Guitarist of the Year" award three consecutive years.

Jorgenson has recorded or toured with Elton John, Tommy Emmanuel, The Byrds, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, Hank Williams Jr., Barbra Streisand, Luciano Pavarotti, Roy Orbison, Patty Loveless, Michael Nesmith, John Prine, and Bonnie Raitt.et JP Girbon ;D
[imglink]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jorgenson[/imglink]

Zoltan

Quote from: Jean Pierre on July 17, 2023, 11:14:30 PM, is a melancholy song. It expresses a certain nostalgia for something lost or never attained.

This was clear even from the first sounds. This song really takes you back to a special place. A place that i've probably not visited for real, but in my dreams.

A place where circus clowns are running around, the cherry trees are blossoming and JP is playing guitarra on a terrace while i'm sipping on a whiskey spiked Café au Lait and smoking Gitanes.

Very well done JP!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Jean Pierre

le café, le wisky et les gitanes ..autant de (petits) vices que j'ai eu :D

thetworegs

Would bring a smile to the saddest of face's ....excellent JP

If Life is a dream then use your imagination