So I went shopping today.....

Started by Dmann, June 25, 2009, 09:42:32 PM

Dmann

Well my son has been bugging me to take him and his friend out shopping for a beginner drum set for his friend. So I took them down to Axe music here in Calgary and helped em out explaining everything I've learned about Drums over the last 20 years of playing with many different drummers.

Here's my problem.... I get this urge.... Later after doing some research on the web, I went back to Axe and bought myself a Black Tama ImperialStar 5-piece set LOL. I figured now that I have a PA and several amps, a Bass, a couple guitars, and a friggin Violin...... why not get a drum set and set up a Jam studio in the garage so my son and his buddys have a place to Jam.

Anyways it's not a bad set for $800.00 canadian, and being my 1st time setting up drums I checked out the internet as usual, found some Vids, and 4 hours later It's sounding pretty dam good!

Lucky for me I spent some time over the years pissing around on the drummers kit so I have a basic knowlege of how to play.... So now I am going to have to learn how to record live drums with micro BR so I can do my own tracks... woohoo!

Ted

I kind of did the same thing a few days ago, and bought one of these:

Yamaha-DD55.jpg
Yamaha DD55

You're lucky.  A real drum set would never fly in my house.

I look forward to hearing what you can do on those Tamas.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: Ted on June 25, 2009, 10:01:31 PMI kind of did the same thing a few days ago, and bought one of these:

I'm in the same boat. Been trying to convince my wife to let me get an electric drum set, but she keeps saying we don't have the room in our apartment.  :/ 

Semantics!!!

Kody

My brother plays Tamas~ Loves em!!  He's been playing for years...He compares them to the twice as expensive DWs but says his Tamas are better!! Good for you, Dmann!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Geir

Quote from: Ted on June 25, 2009, 10:01:31 PMI kind of did the same thing a few days ago, and bought one of these:

Yamaha DD55
Now those look interesting ..... any good? and what did you have to pay?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

guitarron

your giving me GAS just reading this
cant go wrong with TAMA's

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 25, 2009, 10:05:47 PM

I'm in the same boat. Been trying to convince my wife to let me get an electric drum set, but she keeps saying we don't have the room in our apartment.  :/ 

Semantics!!!

:D Same here (and she's right!!)

Also, I'd spend a year or so teaching myself how to play them without recording anything! (I did it a few years ago when I taught myself to play piano - reaping the benefits now, but I'm not sure I can put myself through it again :D).

That Yamaha DD55 looks cute though - has it got MIDI out? (Can I use my existing drum machine as a sound module?)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: AndyR on June 26, 2009, 07:26:15 AM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 25, 2009, 10:05:47 PM

Semantics!!!

:D Same here (and she's right!!)

Also, I'd spend a year or so teaching myself how to play them without recording anything! (I did it a few years ago when I taught myself to play piano - reaping the benefits now, but I'm not sure I can put myself through it again :D).

That Yamaha DD55 looks cute though - has it got MIDI out? (Can I use my existing drum machine as a sound module?)

She tried to use that argument too... about needing time to learn how to play. She thought that until she heard me play one day at guitar center. She didn't realize that I played when I was younger. Not great, but well enough that my learning curve on picking up a set now would be dramatically lower than she thought. :)

Ted

Quote from: Geir on June 26, 2009, 02:42:54 AM
Now those look interesting ..... any good? and what did you have to pay?

Shhh... Don't tell Dmann, but I got it dirt cheap.

They were selling for $110--used--at my friendly neighborhood used bookstore. I talked them down to $90.  Then they had a computer glitch while I was waiting, so the manager gave me an extra $10 in store credit, plus a 20% off coupon.  All that adds up to about $62.

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 25, 2009, 10:05:47 PMI'm in the same boat. Been trying to convince my wife to let me get an electric drum set, but she keeps saying we don't have the room in our apartment.  :/ 

Something like the DD55 would fit under your bed when you weren't using it.

Quote from: AndyR on June 26, 2009, 07:26:15 AMThat Yamaha DD55 looks cute though - has it got MIDI out? (Can I use my existing drum machine as a sound module?)

Yep.

It has many different kit sounds, as well as hand percussion sounds.  Plus, it'll be a lot easier just to plug this into my Micro BR, than it would be to mic a drum set.

Nonetheless it would be really really satisfying to be able to play a drum set.  So I am still plenty envious of those Tamas.  I don't mean to steal Dmann's thunder!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Saijinn Maas

TED -

How is the sound on those? And how is the trigger sensitivity?

I tried others like that one, just not that one specifically, and I've found that they tend to sound really digital. Even more so than the patterns built into the MBR.