The King of Pop, dead at 50.

Started by Davo, June 25, 2009, 03:55:55 PM

SharksDontSleep

I heard about it at around 6:00am.
By about 6:15am I was already bored with the endless 15 seconds worth of Thriller, that was being shown on TV.

Did anyone know that Billie Jean wasn't his lover!

SteveB

Thankfully I haven't had a TV in well over a decade, so only caught the news via Firefox Headlines. I was never a great fan of MJ, but the guy did have talent. Unfortunately those around him knew this also, and from the age of, what 3-or-something, he became a cash cow. I'm afraid it confirms the adage that money can't bring you happiness.
Hey, I've nothing against having money by the way - if I had any I'd be purchasing the BR1600 today.

RIP MJ anyway.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Greeny

Billie Jean had one of the greatest bass lines ever. I could listen to that over and over. It's a sad end to a tragic, mis-guided life. He's not a favourite artist of mine, but there were some damn good songs along the way (...and plenty of stinkers). What was Macca thinking when he did the awful 'The Girl is Mine' with him? Or was he just kissing ass because Wacko owned all the Beatles publishing rights?! Anyway, I hope he's remembered for the music and not the freakshow circus of his life. It's big news though. He's one of the biggest stars ever.

His record company will be cashing in with a new greatest hits package I suppose.

Dmann

Sadly enough when I was a kid in like grade 5, I was a huge Jackson Fan, my mom even bought me that gay zipper jacket in which I wore proudly at the time. The awe wore off quickly though and I never even thought about MJ again until I was about 17 or so and over at a friends house Jammin, when he told me Eddie Van Halen did all the guitar work on the Thiller Album.

I didn't believe it at first, but he promply pulled out an old record and popped it on the player and as soon as I heard the solo for Beat It, there was no mistaking that style.

Kind of sad the way things went for MJ, too bad he couldn't have just stayed normal and made music instead of all the other crap, he was a great musician and showman in his prime, no doubt about it.

guitarron

Quote from: Davo on June 25, 2009, 05:58:17 PMUnconfirmed but there are also reports that Jeff Goldblum died today also.
are you shitting me

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 25, 2009, 08:13:49 PM
Quote from: Davo on June 25, 2009, 05:58:17 PMUnconfirmed but there are also reports that Jeff Goldblum died today also.

This one has already been confirmed as a hoax.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/tomhanks.asp

whoops never mind

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bro

For me, you can say what you want. I'm not going to say bad stuff about him or judge him for being a pedophile. He was a musical icon and a true legend. And he lived the lifestyle of one, or maybe a bit more extreme. Anyhow i think it's a tragic loss, of one of the greatest pop legends who ever lived.
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Greeny

There's still Jeff Koons' work of 'art' that's probably just gone up in value...  :D

Ted

Here's a prediction that I'd love to see proven right: Because he'd become such a reclusive, outcast, kook, Jackson was already "dead" to us.  Therefore, the mourning, and retrospectives, and media freak-out will be blessedly short.

Am I dreaming?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Davo

Ted I hope your not dreaming. 
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe