The 88th Key (The 52nd Key)

Started by StephenM, July 01, 2023, 07:43:58 AM

StephenM

The 88th Key (The 52nd key) (smaller)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
The origination of this was yesterday Markus was playing drums and I was digging his beat so I sat at the Kawai and we did the keyboard/drum track live in the studio...it is handy to have everything set up because once in a while Markus will allow me to capture him on the Zoom... I like the way he drives the tempo... granted it is a simple beat and very repetitive but it does the job...

The Kawai is about 25 years old and it is a beast.  It is my wifes.  So I did an organ/electric piano mix as you can double instrument this.

Then I started adding stuff... I have to admit that I screwed up the mix alot and then worked furiously to fix it with eq...

I was thinking of rowing boats at the end (or maybe something else)...
This song is a journey that is unpredictable.

Come with me.  On a safari.  Across the piano keys.  As we go up.  Go past all the usuals.  The commoners, all the ones that are known. 
The B takes a sinister tone.  A sinister tone,  but the C is always happy.  The C is my happy place.
Everyone knows the usual.  Everyone knows the usual.  The ones that are always seen. 
But what about me?  I'm way up at the top you see.  The one no one ever visits.   The 88th key.  The 52nd key.  The 52nd key. 
Nobody likes me.  Nobody wants to play with me.  No one ever touches me.  Except maybe the roadie or the groupie.  The star never touches me.  Almost no one can hear me.  The frequency  in their ears is dead to this tone. 
But I exist.  I exist.  I tell you.  Frequency.
Somewhere in the darkness, there is a key that no one has played.  Just remember this as you pass down the streets of your town.  All the keys matter.  All the keys matter.  Where they maybe found.
Just stay away from evil.  Stay away from darkness.  Just stay away from evil.  Stay away from darkness.  Just stay away from evil.  Stay away from darkness. 
That B is mean.  That B is mean.  That B is mean.
He's mean I tell ya. 
Uhhhh ohhhhh yeah....x 100

you may have already figured out this song is about the key way up on the keyboard that no one ever touches and how it might relate to actual people in the communities we live in...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

A great little family jamming session here Steve. I really like Markus' drumming. And the 25 year old keyboard still sounds great. It's cool all the other parts you've added and the way the Song progresses and expands, very imaginative. Especially the lyrics and vocals which I always enjoy.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Mike_S

I really dug this, sitting on my own in my little corner. It's really just the general weirdness I enjoyed. The odd little story about the poor little 88th key. Some great trippy music.

But hey in today's climate there might even be a broader point to be made... do we all have an unconscious bias against the lonely unplayed 88th key? Do I feel a march for justice coming on!? Maybe even a hash tag to promote #AllKeysMatter ?? ;D

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Mike_S on July 06, 2023, 04:24:13 PMI really dug this, sitting on my own in my little corner. It's really just the general weirdness I enjoyed. The odd little story about the poor little 88th key. Some great trippy music.

But hey in today's climate there might even be a broader point to be made... do we all have an unconscious bias against the lonely unplayed 88th key? Do I feel a march for justice coming on!? Maybe even a hash tag to promote #AllKeysMatter ?? ;D

Mike
Perfect!!!

So fun to read this Mike

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

SE

An excellent live sounding recording, lots of parts that keep it interesting. Cool!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

TPB

Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

godinqc

Really cool song, it's great that it was a family collab ..
I really enjoyed the lyrics, as I'm looking at my Arturia MiniLab3 that has only 25 keys  ;D
Great work
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

des0free

Really cool jam song.  Amazed that you were able to add all those parts in perfect sync on top of a drums-keys track that I presume was recorded without a click track.  In the end you got something special here - interesting lyrics too! "Stay away from email" - I wish (I'm assuming you're referring to "work email"). Not sure what is happening at the end with the "oh yeah's" mirroring the drums - sounds pleasurable?  I can see what you're saying about having everything - all the instruments plugged in ready to record - being good for capturing a spontaneous jam. May as well hit record every time you're noodling around - always ready when something good happens to flow out!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR