Same Old Shit, Different Day

Started by StephenM, June 12, 2023, 05:30:05 PM

StephenM

Same Old Shit, Different Day
Time:
0:00
Volume:
well...

I was practicing drums today to Darren G's latest instrumental (Dark Star).  I really dig that track... and so I kind of tried and just really hold a tight line... not be so crazy on the drums... more solid... more simple but solid....

I like the drums and I mixed them on the Zoom board using the gated reverb.  So I recorded drums, then disengaged myself from Darren's track to see what I might come up with using these drums.  The guitar was first, and then a second rhythm guitar and then the bass and the lead.  Then I did lyrics and vocals at the same time.  I mixed all this on Audacity and used various effects from Muse FX and Masterdesk ...

as far as the song title, it was something that people used to say at work, in various places, including the Navy, to describe the day to be just another day.... so I kind of wrote a song about that.  My daughter Melissa was listening to this while I was mixing it down... she complained heavily about it being pessimistic and sounds the same as other stuff I do...lol... so I acknowledged her complaints, thanked her for the input, and thanked her for listening... but I just laughed them off inside because to certain folks this will resonate... others, not so much.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ray Brookes

Cool Zappa-like track, Stephen and the title is a saying we have all heard before. Some nice guitar work going on in there. I used to work in a studio where they would get 2 - 3 clients turning up every day to lay down their demos (usually crap ones) We used to say in those days "Same day, different shit"
Ray Brookes

Farrell Jackson

Great tone and sustain on the smokin' guitar. Very solid drumming. Intentional or unintentional but always cool. I also hear a Zappa style in the vocal production. Well done Stephen!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ted

I particularly like the lead at the intro.

Quote from: StephenM on June 12, 2023, 05:30:05 PM... and sounds the same as other stuff I do...lol...

Are you supposed to do a song called 'Same Old Shit, Different Day" that sounds different from anything you've done before? Hello!

I hear voices in the background. Sounds like this was played live at a dinner party.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on June 13, 2023, 07:11:02 AMI particularly like the lead at the intro.

Quote from: StephenM on June 12, 2023, 05:30:05 PM... and sounds the same as other stuff I do...lol...

Are you supposed to do a song called 'Same Old Shit, Different Day" that sounds different from anything you've done before? Hello!

I hear voices in the background. Sounds like this was played live at a dinner party.

yeah Ted, my brother has been hanging around and doesn't take the hints to turn off the sound on his laptop before i record vocals so I just kept going...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Ted

Quote from: StephenM on June 13, 2023, 07:19:08 AMmy brother has been hanging around and doesn't take the hints to turn off the sound on his laptop before i record vocals so I just kept going...

Even that detail impresses me. I'm so self-conscious that I practically evacuate the neighborhood within a 1 km radius of my house before I record vocals.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

TPB

Steve Zappa in the groove, Sorry for the short replies Been building a house and moving my Mother-in-law to my place so listening when I can, I see a light at the end of the tunnel so should be able to start recording again. i have a collab I want to do with you
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

godinqc

I really liked the guitar tone on this one ..
Steve Zappa .. lol that's a good one .. since it has a Zappaish vibe .
Great work  Stephen..
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

StephenM

Quote from: TPB on June 13, 2023, 08:33:20 AMSteve Zappa in the groove, Sorry for the short replies Been building a house and moving my Mother-in-law to my place so listening when I can, I see a light at the end of the tunnel so should be able to start recording again. i have a collab I want to do with you
Tim
Wow Tim... you go for really big things in your life.    I notice..  i put together things over time... as humble as you are you produce amazing results...
Its really nice to build for your family.  Thats love and thats sacrifice.

Yes.. please Tim..record soon.. and I will be delighted!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Zoltan

You've gone back to a more garagey rock sound. The vocals float above it all and although the lyrics might be a stream of consciousness type of a thing they're flowing naturally. I guess you've managed to bypass the part that makes the brain to start second guessing :)

The guitar playing has that Steph the Rockstar thing going for it. The first thing that might catch the listeners attention is the title, but it's the playing that really draws and keeps the listener invested in the song.

This ladies and germs is your new pop star! All bow down to the man from N.C.!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper