Hell in Paradise

Started by alfstone, June 12, 2023, 05:09:28 AM

alfstone

Hell in Paradise_mixdown master
Time:
0:00
Volume:
NewsFest (banner image missing)

This tune was inspired by one of those news stories that, due to their daily repetition and uniformity, end up becoming routine: the landings of immigrants on the island of Lampedusa.

https://www.ansa.it/sicilia/notizie/2023/06/01/altri-due-sbarchi-a-lampedusa-oggi-dieci-con-355-migranti_5ef8e182-93bb-447d-8dc5-72144eb20117.html

The island of Lampedusa, located south of Sicily, has been for years the landing point for tens of thousands of desperate people trying to escape from war, hunger and misery, attempting to reach this way the European continent. However, many are the ones who often die drowned, aboard overcrowded and dilapidated rubber dinghies and boats. Nevertheless, it is also a beautiful island, a paradise for tourists captivated by a splendid and unspoiled sea. It is, therefore, a demonstration of how, depending on the perspective, a heavenly place can easily become a hellish one.

Therefore, it is a composition based on the contrasts between sweet, dreamy, almost idyllic sounds, and harsh, dark, menacing tones, like the sea can be.

This composition is dedicated to the victims of despair and to the heroes who, silently and daily, strive to save human lives.

For once, I believe that the video I created for this occasion is important in order to explain better the meaning of the piece.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Farrell Jackson

I started with the song but quickly switched to the video. You are right, the video is as important as the song in order to get the full impact of the situation. A happy and sad place and a very touching song and video. The guitar solo work is fantastic Alfredo!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

very nice work and an important look at these kinds of all to familiar places.  The gap between ultra rich and poor is getting larger all the time...

The music smokes... that guitar solo sounds awesome... it is a lovely piece...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Johnbee

The music is hauntingly beautiful.  The imagery of the video is both beautiful and troubling.

You've made your point very well, my friend.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

mdhastings

I was impressed with your choice of instrumentation. The smooth backing swirling Rhodes sound juxtaposed with the harsher lead sound seem to provide the perfect acoustical expression of your theme.  Your video really brought it all home. Nice work!

thetworegs

Well put together video loving that solo cutting through the dreammy music like a knife through butter bringing the reality of the situation to the for. I'm with the slogan on the banner protect people not borders" walk a mile in my shoes before you criticize and accuse"

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Redler

Such a sad news, but just wonderful music. The backer is relaxing and beautiful.

Lead and solo guitar sound so good!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

I heard this a few times today while working. That style of lead soloing along with the tone just blew me away. It reminds me of the great Gary Moore. Great composition.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

The opening guitar is so very tasty. Just lovely accompaniment. And mixed so well.

Killer solo to boot and love how you navigated a couple chord changes in there. Was that a big gated reverb on it or just delay?

Really nice.

des0free

Cool piece, I was pleasantly jolted when the overdrive kicked in!  Skillful playing!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR