Guitar Tone Tweaking Order (per ChatGPT)

Started by Ted, June 09, 2023, 12:14:15 PM

Ted

As I said in another post, I'm dumb and don't know how to tweak my guitar tones.

I thought maybe it would help to stage my tweaks in a particular order, before adding the next tone-altering factor.

I told ChatGPT that this is what I had:

• Clean sound - pick up selector and tone controls only
  • Boss COSM preamp (in the Micro BR)
  • EQ pedal
  • TubeScreamer
  • (no amplifier)

This is what ChatGPT recommended:

Quote from: ChatGPTIf you don't have an amplifier and are instead using your guitar with pedals or directly into a recording interface or PA system, the order of tweaking your guitar sound may change slightly. Here's an order that you can follow:

• Clean sound: Set your guitar's pick-up selector and tone controls to achieve the desired clean tone from your guitar. Without an amplifier, you'll rely more on the subsequent pedals to shape your tone.
  • EQ pedal: Start with the EQ pedal as it can help shape your overall tone. Connect the EQ pedal after your guitar to adjust the frequency response. You can use it to boost or cut certain frequencies to enhance your sound.
  • Boss COSM preamp or amp modeling: If you're using a Boss COSM preamp or any other amp modeling pedal, connect it after the EQ pedal. These pedals often provide different amp simulations and built-in effects. Experiment with the settings to find the desired amp model and tone.
  • TubeScreamer or overdrive/distortion pedals: Place the TubeScreamer or any overdrive/distortion pedals after the preamp or amp modeling pedal. These pedals will interact with the simulated amp sound, adding gain, saturation, and shaping the tone further.

Since you're not using an amplifier, the preamp or amp modeling pedal will play a more significant role in shaping your tone. The order of the pedals may be adjusted based on the specific pedals you're using and the desired outcome. Feel free to experiment with the order to find what works best for your setup and personal preferences.

What do you think? Good advice?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

20230612-tone-tweaks
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here is and experiment.

The riff repeats seven times. I start with a clean, unaffected sound. Each time I add a tweak

• (0:00) Straight into the Micro BR, no effects (Pickup Position 2. Bridge Pickup in Parallel with Special Capacitor and in Series with Middle. Volume knob at 8.)
  • (0:08) Add Tweaked Micro BR Preamp Model (based on CRUNCH)
  • (0:15) Add EQ pedal (scooped mids)
  • (0:22) Add Compression pedal (MXR Dyna Comp clone, compression at 12 o'clock)
  • (0:29) Add Overdrive (Tubescreamer Clone)
  • (0:35) Add more EQ pedal tweaks (scoop deeper)
  • (0:43) Add Chorus (just for fun)

I'm okay with how this sounds, but not ecstatic.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a "garbage in" problem. When I listen to "clean" Stratocasters online, they don't sound like this. They sound more sparkly (or something). Listen to the very first cycle. Is that what a clean Strat should sound like?

There are a lot of Strat tone videos on YouTube – mostly people who want to sound like SRV. That's not what I'm after. If I could describe what I want, it's not complicated: I want something versatile, and a little dirty. Something that sounds good when strumming cowboy chords, but can also sound good playing power chords. Pete Townshend's tone comes to mind.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

Pete Town guitar sound works....

I like what you did here...

Its fun to see what if too.

Also this would sound somewhat different when bass, drums, and vocals added

recorder