"Softly" by Mike Huntingford

Started by Mike Huntingford, June 07, 2023, 01:33:05 AM

Mike Huntingford

softly
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi everyone, it has been quite a while since I last posted a song. So here, hot off the presses, is my latest "Softly" a nice acoustic song (I think).

I'd be interested in comments on overall mix and placement of instruments. Also, do you think they sound realistic...

You will here me play:

a. Acoustic nylon guitar
b. Another acoustic guitar.
c. Steel Pedal guitar
d. Mandolin
e. High Strings
f. Bass guitar
g. Women's choral
h. solo woman voice
i. soft electric piano

Hope you enjoy.

Mike
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

karl1171

Yes it is a nice acoustic tune, I think the overall mix is excellent.

I've got to say though, I'm having trouble making out a separate womens's choral, solo woman voice and electric piano - it seems like these combined with the strings just give a nice synth pad sound. I guess without any of these individual parts the overall effect would have been thinner sounding. Perhaps its just my ears!

It all sounds realistic, although I'd expect a pedal steel to have a more potramento type of sound, this seems to be all discrete notes.

Mike Huntingford

Quote from: karl1171 on June 07, 2023, 02:40:43 AMYes it is a nice acoustic tune, I think the overall mix is excellent.

I've got to say though, I'm having trouble making out a separate womens's choral, solo woman voice and electric piano - it seems like these combined with the strings just give a nice synth pad sound. I guess without any of these individual parts the overall effect would have been thinner sounding. Perhaps its just my ears!

It all sounds realistic, although I'd expect a pedal steel to have a more potramento type of sound, this seems to be all discrete notes.

Hi, thank you for the terrific feedback. I understand what you are saying about not being able to hear individually the ep, female solo, strings etc. You correctly hinted on my intended goal for each of these voices - to create a backing environment to blanket the solo instrument. The female solo is faint and provides a counter melody to the main voice in order to compliment and sometimes add tension. I may go back and remix that voicing.

With regards to the pedal guitar solo, I totally agree with your observation. Unfortunately I am at the mercy of the equipment I have (oh to be rich lol).

Thank you.

Mike
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

StephenM

They sound real enough to me... then again... I don't hear real instruments that much anymore, so the electronic ones seem real enough. 

There is nothing here but elegant goodness.  It's a nice relaxing mix.  The song tends to make me think... think about things... kind of moves the brain frequency somewhere nostalgic... I like that. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

kenny mac

Nice song Mike, it's a great soundtrack for a movie.
The instruments sound pretty real.
Good track ,good mix.

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

It's a really lovely song. Great melodies. The mix sounds great and it's arranged and played beautifully. The virtual instruments are great and sound really authentic.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

StephenM

before this heads off the latest juke box and into the abyss I just wanted to say goodbye... it's a real beaut and I downloaded it for the random playlist on my phone...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

mdhastings

I love your instrumentation. The mix of timbres go well together and make me want to hear more. Very peaceful/relaxing. 

Blooby

Great choice of complimentary timbres. While I might not be able to pick out the individual bits of instrumentation, the whole is quite impactful. Reminds me a bit of something Knopfler might do in his soundtrack work.

Blooby