Whenever

Started by karl1171, June 05, 2023, 04:49:33 AM

karl1171

Whenever SC
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This isn't my favourite song I've ever written but its growing on me.

There are some aspects I like, particularly the bass fill into the chorus, and the bridge/solo.

The backing vocals probably also deserve a mention. This is a 3 part harmony, duplicated, panned, left and right tracks offset, then an additional mixdown of these 6 tracks added. Not the sound I had in mind but turned out ok!

I don't like fades generally, but don't worry, nothing interesting happens in the 'missing' 20 seconds!

Drums and keyboard from Cubase. Guitars use AXP Flextron VST.

Pete C

That's a really nice catchy song and its growing on me after a couple of listens. Bit of an 80's vibe..great solo and I think the backing vocals sound excellent. Did you do those yourself or use a vocal processor ?(like I have to for most of mine ! ) Enjoyed hearing this !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

This is a really good song, very tight, rocking, great vocals and that chorus is really strong.....guitars sound great.......it's tight ........well done

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

karl1171

Quote from: Pete C on June 05, 2023, 03:21:19 PMThat's a really nice catchy song and its growing on me after a couple of listens. Bit of an 80's vibe..great solo and I think the backing vocals sound excellent. Did you do those yourself or use a vocal processor ?(like I have to for most of mine ! ) Enjoyed hearing this !

Pete

Cheers, the vocals are all me, but they are all pitch corrected,

StephenM

Quote from: karl1171 on June 06, 2023, 01:35:35 AM
Quote from: Pete C on June 05, 2023, 03:21:19 PMThat's a really nice catchy song and its growing on me after a couple of listens. Bit of an 80's vibe..great solo and I think the backing vocals sound excellent. Did you do those yourself or use a vocal processor ?(like I have to for most of mine ! ) Enjoyed hearing this !

Pete

Cheers, the vocals are all me, but they are all pitch corrected,

So what if they are?  all the pros do it now....everyone does it...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

I think this is a wonderful song... I really like the chugging along guitars... drives this thing like a freight train, heading for a wall, and it won't be stopped... the drums pummel us into submission and the bass just adds to this humbling...
the lead guitar is so pro.. and the mix...just right there imo...

I agree that the backing vocals are indeed great... if I were going to be picky and say my preference in mixing is the lead vocal a smidge higher and the backing vocals a smidge lower... but the mix is valid and I hear lots of stuff on the radio that is a very similar mix... so it is a legit style... and overall you did a very, very good job on the production... hats off!

It's sort of Kiss meets The Kinks for me.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

This is a cracking song. Really catchy and  I love the heavy, chugging guitars. Great music and production all round. Your vocals are nice and I like the backing vocals a lot. The way you panned them worked a treat.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

BerryPatch

Woah, this a fabulous song Karl! That chorus with all the harmonies is so beautiful and the mix is perfect. Like others have said, this has an 80's tinge to it especially like a latter-decade Arena Rock sound. The hook sticked right in my ear as soon as it stopped playing....well done!  ;D

Blooby

The background vocals are a real standout for me. Excellent tune that has proven to be an earworm.

Blooby

kenny mac

This is absolutely fantastic, brilliant song,radio friendly for sure.
The whole structure is incredible, had me singing along in the car full blast.
If anything I would maybe pull the backing vocals back slightly but I'm being picky.
The drums sound great as well.
Funnily enough what some artist have regarded as not a favourite tune of theirs seems to register with other people big time.
This is a hit.