Sonatina non Grata

Started by Frank53, June 25, 2009, 10:38:29 AM

Frank53

Frank_Northcutt_-_Sonatina_non_grata
Time:
0:00
Volume:
In the words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different". I'm going to be away on vacation for two weeks, starting Sunday, so let me post one more before I go.

This is something I've always wanted to try, and finally got the nerve a couple months ago. It's a sonatina in C major for piano, flute, and string quartet. If you can stay awake for 3:20, I hope you enjoy it.  ::)
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

SteveB

FK53 - Absolutely lovely. I could imagine this being used as incidental music in a film (hope that's not an insult btw?). Sort of, Tom Hanks walking along depressing inner-city dereliction brooding on the meaning of life, er, a bit like Monty Python.  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

This brings a tear to my eyes, beautiful stuff Frank.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveB

FK53 - It's absolutely teeming down with rain outside, and I've just listened to your piece again (For about the 5th time), and even though it's in C Major, there really is (To my ears anyway), an underlying broody element to it. It's quite wonderful, and as I wrote in my earlier post, I really could see this used in film. Well done.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

Blooby

I'm on my third listen.  Really lovely.  Nicely performed.  Very refreshing to hear something with unique orchestration as well.

SteveB, I had the same reaction to your second post.  I'm shocked to find it's in a major key.  As for your first post, it just cracks me up.

If you're looking for any constructive criticism, the strings seem a tad loud/intrusive in the mix (to my ears anyway).

Again, very nice.

Blooby

Frank53

Thanks everyone, for the kind words! I'm surprised someone actually listened to it more than once. LOL! I was fairly pleased with it, considering it was my first venture into the classical realm. It does have a bit of a melancholy feel, but hopefully a peaceful sense, as well.

Blooby, I'm always looking for constructive criticism. Thank you. This mix will definitely be revisited before I commit it to CD. I definitely see your point. I wanted the strings to be strong when they came in, but I may have gone a little overboard. They do overpower the piano, and especially the flute when it re-enters. I'm not happy with the balance amongst the strings, either. Some things to work on.

Yes, BB. I've noticed that people tend to cry when they hear me play. LOL!
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Diego Ayala

Preaty neat sound!  Did you added the flute too or had somone else do it?  Have several songs that need flute work!  At least that's what I want to add, among other sounds...

D

galestermusic

Frank thank you so much....I downloaded this...I have problems getting to sleep, it really drives me crazy. I go through this eery night...my mind won't stop racing at the end of the day. I listen to this three times and just closed my eyes...and I went to a place. That is an accomplishment in and of its self!

This is beautiful! When I go to bed, I'm going to play this to slow me down!

:)

SteveB

FRK - I've started a BR-Comm-MP3 Folder on my computer, and this lovely piece has just been downloaded into it. Somewhere in your locale will be an amateur Film-Maker who will be looking for original music for his/her next project - I would seek these people out, original music like this is too good to languish unheard by the masses.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

Oldrottenhead

this is great frank, i dont know this piece but its lovely.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann