The Legend of Dickie-berg (Newsfest)

Started by Bluesberry, May 26, 2023, 06:00:08 PM

Bluesberry

The Legend of Dickie-berg (mp3)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
NewsFest (banner image missing)

I wanted to do a song for the news fest, but the news is so much doom and gloom lately...I went looking for a lighter, fun story.....and boy did I find one......this guy from Newfoundland (the town of Dildo) was taking drone pictures of icebergs and he saw one with a very distinct shape.....he posted his pictures on Facebook and of course it went viral....based on the news reports of that story I was inspired to write a fun little song about it...it was originally intended ot be a kind of folk rock song, but it grew a bit from the original concept....I'll find a link to the story to post here.....For your listening pleasure I present you with the Legend of Dickie-berg...in all his glory ...may he now rest in peace.....

Link to the news story:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/oddly-shaped-iceberg-nl-1.6825578

The Legend of Dickie-berg
written/performed/recorded by Dave Berry, with some awesome assistance from Keith Berry
Dave: lyrics/vocals, electric guitar (Epi SG, Strat, Jazzmaster), acoustic guitar,
GB drums and keys (organ, synth)
Keith: Bass, mellotron app
recorded on an iPad into Garageband
Long ago when the world was young
a tale was told of a glacial remnant
The stately visage would one day thrust
above the ocean deep

When the people would gaze upon it
their excitement surely will grow
The legend told how the dead will rise
and dreamers roused from their sleep

Chorus: Dickie-berg we were excited to see you
We could tell you were excited too
But the sun was high, your gumption was low
All we have are these memories, and this tattoo

One day a man from the town of Dildo
Set out to take pictures of icebergs
He sent his drone up into the sky
Out over Conception Bay

What he saw made him gird up his loins
10,000 year old sculpted masterpiece
He put the pictures on the World Wide Web
Proclaimed it "Dickie-berg"

Chorus: Dickie-berg......and this tattoo

Nine months later, almost to the day
a great cry went up across the land
Babies born in nearly every house
along Conception Bay

Chorus: Dickie-berg......and this tattoo

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

I think I saw the pic on Facebook originally, but I couldn't believe some of the details (especially the photog's hometown, lol) once I read the news story you linked. If it was fiction, I wouldn't have believed any of it!

Anyway, to the song - it's a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) musical achievement. Love the proggy arrangement, and those lyrics - well, they rise right up to...um...meet the challenge of the, erm, monumental subject matter. Truly must have been hard...  ;D

His head may be gone now, but the legend of Dickie Berg will live on!

Well done (and well-played), gentlemen.  8)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

Quote from: cuthbert on May 26, 2023, 06:45:40 PMAnyway, to the song - it's a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) musical achievement. Love the proggy arrangement, and those lyrics - well, they rise right up to...um...meet the challenge of the, erm, monumental subject matter. Truly must have been hard...  ;D

That's what she said.........

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

kenny mac

Lol the lyrics are genius on this.
I was just enjoying it but then it  came to an end.
It's  not long enough but then again size isn't everything  ;D
Nice guitar work and storytelling.

Hook

What fucking pleasant surprise to find my brother Bluesberry the 1st song in the jukebox!!! Great song brother, A+ storytelling , loving the solo section and then it kicks in early Yes style. Massive production a d you really nailed it. Good to hear you singing brother...I've been missing this.
Rock on!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

StephenM

Dickie from Dildo.... sounds like a follow on song... well sir... this made me laugh so hard... laugh so hard... laugh      so       hard.

If one doesn't pay attention to the lyrics the music (which the voice and singing becomes part of) is a prog masterpiece.  an epic track remin of early to late 70's greats.  Lot s of incredible and interesting intricate parts weaved in and out of the track.  From the horns to the guitar to the organs all in their place and coming forth at just the right times... love the drum track as well. 

But when one actually follows the lyrics along the song this thing becomes very very big.... so big it rises from deep within to stir up an amazing laughter... if a person follows this song and doesn't roar in  a big laugh then they must need some sort of HD medicine (humorectice deficiency)

great idea... great idea and I am happy to know about this.

goes almost Allman like at about 3:20 into the 4's .... wow

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ray Brookes

Cool fun song and apart from the humorous lyrics that are crafted so well, the production is first class. Love some of those bass lines, in fact the whole instrumentation is stellar.
Ray Brookes

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

First of all what a story haha..it sounds made up can't believe it was real. A town called dildo ? A man called dickie..and an iceberg shaped like..well..a dick  ;D brilliant story and an inspired song .
The music is brilliant guys. Love those guitars, bass and drums really cool too. I really like your vocal.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ted

;D I really like your organ! And those Joyo pedals sound great too!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bluesberry

Quote from: Ted on May 28, 2023, 07:23:46 AM;D I really like your organ! And those Joyo pedals sound great too!

That's what she said.........hahaha

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand