Micro BR as an "amp on the verge of breakup" with a Tubescreamer

Started by Ted, May 22, 2023, 03:37:33 AM

Ted

Quote from: Geir on June 03, 2023, 07:43:31 AMI'd go with the VO DRV or CRUNCH. Set the vol quite low and just dial back the volume on your guitar until you get the desired sound

I played around with CRUNCH yesterday.

It's awfully frustrating knowing that I have good gear, and not being able to get the sounds I want. I feel so ignorant.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm staging correctly.

Yesterday I was sort of satisfied with the tone I was getting, and then I turned off everything and just listened to the naked guitar – and it sounded like shit.

Should I start with the Strat with no effects – get that to sound good. Then pick a preamp "clean" sound - get that to sound good. Then Fiddle with the EQ pedal – get that to sound good. Then the Tubescreamer – get that to sound good. Then do minor tweaks on everything until it's dialed in?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Quote from: Zoltan on May 22, 2023, 04:28:14 AMCoud you find a used Sansamp unit, or Joyo/Harley Benton/ American Sound pedal?

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 23, 2023, 04:53:12 PMif you can get one of these pedals Ted, I would say go for it....a real lot of bang for the buck.

Got one!!!

20230910-215533-480×640px.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I haven't even tried it yet. It came in the suitcase of a friend who just returned from England.

Now would be a really good time to try it out. My wife and daughter are outside in the yard and they won't catch me not working.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bluesberry

Ted, congratulations, That voice knob is key to dialing in a nice tone....it acts as a saturation control...I usually have it around 30-50%...too much and it gets fizzy and wonky...just enough and it gives a 3d feeling to the sound......tube saturation emulation best I can tell...that's what makes these pedals so good IMO....

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

Yeah, from the recommendation in this thread I got one.
Wowsers...

Now I've got the British Sound as well.

I use both, but I grew up on Marshalls in the 70s, so most of the time the British Sound gets me closer to what's in my head for a given part.

But these two pedals, £60 between them, have moved all the valve amps and amp modellors into that dark and dusty area under the piano behind me!

You've gonna LOVE that thing Ted :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ted

Quote from: AndyR on September 11, 2023, 10:45:59 AMYou're gonna LOVE that thing Ted :)

I'm really busy with work these days, but...

I've played with it twice now. I plugged it into the Micro BR on battery power, and played around with my Strat until the MBR shuts itself off. (Then I get back to work.) It sounds great – at least as good as the COSM amps in the MBR. And it's fantastic to reach down and turn a knob rather than Effects > Edit > AMP > etc. until I finally get to the parameter I want to try.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac