Growing On The Dung Pile

Started by StephenM, May 20, 2023, 07:36:21 AM

StephenM

Growing_on_the_Dung_Pile
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So this is WEIRD!  Like alot of my original music... but what I think is cool about this is that the vocal track and all that craziness was done with 1 mic in one take.... all the background stuff was happening in the kitchen last night which is about 30 feet away from the "studio" and I have no isolation so I decided to use this to advantage of this weird track.  The mic is a about a 100 dollar MXL condenser and I have used it a lot now... it can do some great things and is super sensitive.  I think this would be a cool track in a movie or tv scene.

This really started with something I was playing on the drums that I had to record, with no metronome... just things I try and play and lock into... I did add a couple of cool cymbal splashes while I was "singing" so that effect also came through the vocal mic. 

This started out very different than it ended.  I was building the entire "song" after the drums from things I played with on the casio keys such as Glock, marimba, tubular bells, vibraphone and mostly short things that I highly effected and panned in Band lab.

Then I added the weird guitar and then the voice and then the bass... I doubt I am getting better at mixing and mastering... but I am learning things and it is fun to mess around with this...

Markus walked by this morning while I was listening to this a bit and he said he was going to submit me for psych eval!  I just laughed and said, yeah, I can see why... but in the end the kids know that they have some of this in them...

my cousin said to me "You're a Johnson.  We have a history of the strange"..... The Johnson clan were originated from Wales (my moms side) and the Moore side is English...

I like mushrooms although I don't do psychtropics... but I do like all the ideas around it and besides mushrooms show up everywhere now...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

"We brought in the moonshine people to help us in the mushroom process."

the lyric idea I got from an article on line about terminology of mushroom growing. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

Cool take on a song. "Martha come quick!" What are they called, Found Recordings? When you record the world around you and use them as part of your music. I feel you nailed it.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Bluesberry

I'm feeling woozy and fuzzy........forgot where I put my keys...I need to get some air......but can't unlock the door...this weird feeling is gripping me tight.........experimental as all get out....and nice groove too......the background noises is a nice accompaniment...it's like the museum of the Steve.........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

Yeah. What more can one add? It's all there. The cosmos is calling.

We're probably all mental. That's why we're here...

You would have made a killing in the 60s. Bob Dylan would have hounded you for answers. Jimi would have took to bass instead. Jim Morrison would be well alive... Playing backgammon and petting chinchillas. Somewhere in the distance Janis Joplin could be heard driving a garbage truck. And even Zappa. He would have applied for Abba.

You've really learned to combine different sounds and elements into a cohesive (albeit psychedelic :)) whole.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

godinqc

Very cool concept, recording the world around you ..
I really liked the combination of the sounds, drums, tubular bells etc.. it has a 70's psychedelic vibe to it. Really cool song ..
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

Ron D Bowes

Wuldn't be out of place on Umagumma. Cool experimental track and one take!! Wow! Serendipity.

Johnbee

Your kids must think they got a way cool dad.  You're always experimenting and it sounds like you're having so much fun.

You'd probably be recruited into Zappa's band back in his day.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Ella

This is very captivating. Nice work. I got some memories from my childhood. Mother doing dishes. I just found that my mother forefathers were living in Scotland. Watsons. Year was 1600 something.  (=|