Blister in the Sun (LITLR) - 1983

Started by ODH, May 14, 2023, 08:17:17 AM

ODH

Blister in the Sun
Time:
0:00
Volume:
1983Fest (banner image missing)

I had to double check that the original (by Violent Femmes) is a 1983 song (sounds like a mid-90's song to me), pretty sure it is though.

This is two channel Live the the living room (actually bedroom). When my guitar interface gadget stopped working before Xmas I replaced it with a Focusrite Scarlet Mono, which is a two channel interface. This is the first time I've used both channels at the same time. Microphone into the XLR input and plugged in Ibanez electro-acoustic into the other. Mic stand and everything. Worked like a dream.

Update - full band version below (17 May)
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

thetworegs

Loved the violent femmes you've done a great job on this cover you've certainly got vocal for it

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

StephenM

I remember this song.. and I have heard folks play this at open mic... very cool song and a great Litlr job on this ODH.

guitar sounds wonderful... enjoyed very much hearing about your process... thanks for including that.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

If there ever was the right person to do justice for this song it's ODH!

I remember loaning this CD from the library and getting into it. It was kinda love & hate thing. In some ways i felt appalled by the whole thing while still being oddly fascinated by it.

The band felt a bit nerdy (Like that's a bad thing!). They still are a bit nerdy. And i guess that makes ODH a bit nerdy too :D If there's any rhyme, or logic to what i'm writing please do tell!

This and some other songs from this band (like Gone Daddy Gone) are the kind of stuff that occasionally starts playing inside my head. I guess some traumas last longer than others...

Edit: And incase it didn't come clear. Yes, i loved that cover!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Pete C

Nice job Nick, suits you perfectly. Not sure if I remember the original although it does sound familiar.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

T.C. Elliott

Amazed at how much like the original that vocal sounded, especially at the beginning. Good solo acoustic take and a good job of keeping the original vibe without being a note perfect copy. Honestly, I've never ever thought about covering this song but now I want to do a hard rock/post punk take on it some day. Thanks for sharing, this is cool.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

ODH

Blister in the Sun full band
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I recorded it with a click track (and tuned the guitar, to an extent) meaning I was able to add drums and a bass track (both GarageBand).

Esteemed admins - can I have this version in the fest jukebox please?
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

des0free

You're getting a great live recording from that new gear, and the electroacoustic plugged in sounds great - almost as good as if it was recorded with a mic - which I have never managed to achieve with the gear or techniques I have. But what is the most impressive here is the performance - really organic live performance that would go over great at an open mic.  I would come listen for sure. I also listened to the version with drums and bass and you've laid those in perfectly!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

Lovely job Nick, great live performance, you could sure do an impressive live performance. Great recording too.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand