Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream Cover)

Started by StephenM, May 13, 2023, 06:54:23 PM

StephenM

Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream Cover)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I had no intention of recording this, or any song really.  What happened was I wanted to hear what my drums sound like with towels over each drum.  I was quite enthused with the sounds.  While I was playing the drums I could hear this song in my head.  I don't think I have heard it recent... I was never that into Cream... but I think I got a new respect for this song after trying to do it...

so the drums have gated reverb on the snare, and some spring reverb.  The entire tracks I did on the Zoom and mixed there using on board effects.  Vocals I just decided to stick with the one track only and used spring reverb because I thought it was quite retro.  Also I stood quite a distance, maybe a foot or more from the mic, which made it less bassy on the voice.

The guitar is Les Paul via my Zoom R24 effects patch over to the L20 by analog, same with bass.  There are 3 guitar tracks on this and the bass player was half asleep so he only played on some of this.

The vocals were tricky I thought...

but I do like the way the drums sound.  I didn't do any kind of eq and I decided not to add any cymbals along the way except for the hi hat from the foot early in the track.

I mixed this on cans but it sounds ok in the car so.... it is what it is.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ron D Bowes

I like it! Nice stereo panning and great impression of Jack Bruce singing ;-) Nice one Stephen.

Ray Brookes

Not an easy song to cover but you have gotten it all together, Stephen. I like that sound of the drums all towelled up that way and some nice guitar work going on here.
Ray Brookes

Blooby

This was way cool. Toweled up drums sound great, and there are some killer guitar tones in there.

Blooby

T.C. Elliott

Man, this brings back memories. This is one of those songs I played in a cover band a couple of decades ago. That's some killer down sounding drums. I like how you created a spacy vocal that still cuts through pretty well.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Jean Pierre

I liked this song and it's well done Stephen

it's true that the drums sound good, it's a real drum set?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

StephenM

Quote from: Jean Pierre on May 16, 2023, 11:23:03 PMI liked this song and it's well done Stephen

it's true that the drums sound good, it's a real drum set?

merci à tous et JP.... oui c'est un vrai kit acoustique. L'étoile impériale de Tama. Vous pouvez voir une photo ici...

thanks everyone and JP.... yes it is a real acoustic kit.  The Tama Imperialstar.  You can see a photo here... https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?msg=395069

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Jean Pierre

...et combien de micro pour l'enregistrement?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

StephenM

Quote from: Jean Pierre on May 17, 2023, 06:23:13 AM...et combien de micro pour l'enregistrement?

J'en utilise un sur la caisse claire et un sur la grosse caisse. Deux frais généraux (condensateurs). 1 pour les deux toms du haut et 1 pour les deux toms du sol. Je dirais qu'à long terme j'en rajouterais 2 de plus pour chaque tom.
Sur cette chanson en particulier, cependant, je n'ai joué aucune cymbale, il n'y a donc pas de son de timbre élevé.

I use one on the snare and one on the kick. Two overheads (condensers). 1 for the two upper toms and 1 for the two floor toms. I would say that long term I would add 2 more for each tom.
On this particular song however I didn't play any cymbals so there is not hi timbre sound.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Ted

This is a very irreverent take on the song - in the sense that you don't seem to be handling a with great care a classic artifact forged by the Gods themselves. Listening to it there's a real sense that it's just some chords, a rhythm, some words, and a melody, that you half remember. And you play with those ingredients as though you have the freedom to do with them whatever you please. And that should always be the case. Super cool.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac