Friendly reminder about dark forces (or about tapes!)

Started by Zoltan, May 06, 2023, 09:40:27 AM

Zoltan

I just did some digging and found three bags filled with tapes. 90% of those tapes are live recordings, rehearsal place recordings and jams with different people. They're mostly from 96-99 (i think).

Anyway i don't have any proper cassette players anymore and turns out the one i used to record these is dead (and i'm not into resurrecting it). Then ah, i found this Walkman -like thing. Unfortunately it wasn't a real Walkman but instead it's a cheap copy. Much to my surprise it worked. And less to my surprise it ate the tape.

Kinda fitting considering what that tape contains. I mean... Maybe it's a warning! (Don't buy cheap copies?).

tapes.jpg
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Farrell Jackson

Just wind the tape back onto the spindles with a wooden pencil that has an eraser attached. Hahaha, that's way I used to do it, unless the tape was broken. That way you can try it again and the Walkman can completely eat the tape. I have a similar box of cassette tapes hiding out somewhere, but I think I'll let them stay hidden.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Zoltan

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on May 06, 2023, 10:03:17 AMJust wind the tape back onto the spindles with a wooden pencil that has an eraser attached. Hahaha, that's way I used to do it, unless the tape was broken.

I already did. I'm old school :) But i don't have anything to play it with. And i agree. It MIGHT be best to let the sleeping dogs lie...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

T.C. Elliott

I can tell you 100% that I'd be finding a way to digitize them all... and then promptly forget about them for a few more years. (I'm not saying that I've done this exact thing...... but I'm also not denying it.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mike_S

I remember once or twice if there was a bit completely mashed beyond fixing I cut a portion out and rejoined the 2 ends using sellotape on one side. I think it worked, but you had to do it pretty well!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

ain't this fun and yes... I remember getting eaten up about tapes being eaten up... lol... Zoltan you always manage to crack me up...

hope you can salvage these after all... would love to hear some of that....so I can remember how glad I am that we don't have to use the tapes anymore...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

I bought a cassette deck a few years back to transfer some old demos.  If you really want to transfer them, pm me. It may take a minute, but I can Dropbox the music as I finish each tape.

Blooby

Zoltan

Quote from: Blooby on May 06, 2023, 11:08:34 PMIf you really want to transfer them, pm me.

Thanks Blooby for the kind offer! But i think this is a road i have to travel myself :)

(Also a reminder that i live in Finland).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

Call me a sentimental fool, but I also have a box of tapes in storage in the USA – degrading every day – and I still imagine digitizing them one of these days. I wouldn't use an old walkman. Go to a pawn shop or such – or even eBay. You'll be able to find something that is good quality and will be gentle on your tapes.

I still have a decent cassette deck (also in storage, also degrading), and I still have my old Ross 4x4 recorder. In theory, I could digitize all of the raw tracks and remix them in a DAW.

I think there is a less than 50 percent chance that I will ever actually digitize all this old stuff. But if I ever do, I will do it right. And I will do my best to play the tapes as few times as possible before digitizing them.

Admittedly, I'm too precious about old stuff and new stuff. There is power and freedom in allowing that old stuff to meet its oblivion, as will we all. Do as you will, Zen Zoltan.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac