Peaceful Dreams of the Mushroom Man

Started by StephenM, May 04, 2023, 06:16:20 AM

StephenM

Peaceful Dreams of the Mushroom ManSC
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is strange and uses an Auto harp and a Hill Country Harp, drums, Kawai keys, Shecter bass, shaker, wood blocks, "vocals"...

I started this as a left handed only drum exercise so the first long piece is left arm only and feet. 

the words Duwishi or wishi or duwoli are Native American words for mushroom(s)
Smohalla is peacemaker or person seeking peace
wampum are ceremony beads
nonomonestotse is dreamer or dreams

the recording is experimental each track I had to think a bit about how to do... but the mixing phase was all about trying things... I utilized alot of eq changes all done in Audacity and I used the on board audacity effects to distort and phase and wah the vocals.  also the bass has effects from audacity.  The drums I did a mix on the Zoom L20 as I really like the gated reverb that I can add there.  I know this is very weird but in a way it is serious.. although every time I listen I start laughing... but you know what?  It is mushroom season again!  lol...

20230504_075856_resized_1.jpg 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

Ha...it's Zappa on Shrooms! Experiment away Mushroom Music Man...this belongs in a film!

I'm on my second listen to catch what I missed the first time. The piano sounds cool plus the bass and drums rock. Your left arm must have gotten tired. This song could have been the soundtrack to The Doors peyote scene in the desert when they were experimenting. A very cool musical experiment Stephen!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Kenneth

Yikes!
Never done the shroom here, but almost feel like I have now!
My friend brought out several bags with different kinds 3 or 4 months ago. She asked if I would partake with her, but I declined.

I don't know what to say.. is it a song? Depends on your state of mind I think.
It's creative! It's what I call a cool recording. And you said it has a seriousness to it, so that's good enough for me. I like the experimental stuff. You have raised the strange bar, ...

Will have a listen after a few drinks...
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

BerryPatch

Wild stuff Stephen! Reminds me a lot of "Pow R Toc C" from Piper At The Gates of Dawn. In fact, this track could fit right in on any early Floyd release, its certainly got the free form feel they would get into. Cool to hear the addition of autoharp here as well, an instrument that's underutilized but can really add to a song. Far out!

Mike_S

Wow. Well I loved this. I am up for anything anyhow musically. It certainly took me back to a trip I had on mushrooms (the only one) many years back. It really was mind blowing but ended up freaking me out for a few days after. This really does a good job in tapping in to the experience. Really fascinating and would fit in a movie pretty well like Farrell says.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

Whaat..... The tape that just got eaten away sounded similar to this. Was it the Mushroom men who did that?

Stephen... I'm going to send you the bill!

This is super weird. But it's weirdly good. It's not a throw away track although it might sound like that at first. It's not an experiment. It's an experience.

Songcrafters! Everyone involved! We've unleashed the beast!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Johnbee

Hey Steve, I think if Zappa was still alive today and heard your stuff he's probably be seeking you out for a collaboration.  You certainly love to play with those "toys" that you seem to have so many of.  Experimentation is a great thing.  Have fun with it. ;)

You know, one of Zappa's first TV appearances was in the early 60s on the Steve Allen Show where he "played" a bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF0PYQ8IOL4

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

Crazy fun. I wish I was at that party, partaking in the "refreshments" and the music. It sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. I don't know if Zappa would want to collab but I want to join in.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

thetworegs

Ummmagumma comes to mind a trippy ride through the mind of Stephen ....look out! The Calvary are coming but there not dressed in blue they seem to have long white coats on and somekind of vest in the hand of the one in front.....RUN!STEPHEN RUN!

If Life is a dream then use your imagination