Saw a Clapton Cover Band - three famous guest musicians joined in!

Started by des0free, May 01, 2023, 01:06:53 AM

des0free

I went to see an Eric Clapton cover band called "Cream of Clapton". Amazing show and the tickets were only $17 each, great seats too!  The band is fronted by Will Johns, who is Eric Clapton's nephew and on keys is Noah East, son of famous bass player Nathan East, who played for Clapton and many others.

Here's the big surprise: A few special guests showed up - Nathan East sat in on Bass and sung backing vocals for the whole concert (and lead vocal on one song he used to do at Clapton's concerts). And Steve Farrone and Greg Phillinganes, who also played in Clapton's band, joined on 5 songs. They all happened to be in the area and free that night and were invited to sit in by Nathan East's son!  All three are famous session musicians and sidemen. They were Clapton's band, for example, on his "24 nights" Royal Albert Hall live album. What a treat!

According to wiki:

Nathan East (Bass) has recorded, performed, and co-written songs with performers such as Bobby Womack, Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson,Joe Satriani, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Phil Collins, Stevie Wonder, Toto, Kenny Loggins, Daft Punk, Chick Corea, and Herbie Hancock.

Steve Ferrone (Drums) was in Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from 1994 to 2017 and has recorded and performed with Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Duran Duran, Stevie Nicks, Laura Pausini, Christine McVie, Rick James, Slash, Chaka Khan, Bee Gees, Scritti Politti, Aerosmith, Al Jarreau, Mick Jagger, Johnny Cash, Todd Rundgren and Pat Metheny.

Greg Phillinganes (Keys) is a prolific session musician and toured with artists including Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and Toto, and was musical director for Michael Jackson.

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Sounds like an incredible show...I would have enjoyed that very much

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Farrell Jackson

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Mike_S

Yes one hell of a show guaranteed with that line up. Serious credentials there. I see tribute acts quite a bit locally and they are usually really high quality and come with the added bonus of being much less hassle than going to a massive concert hall to see stars who don't always cut it like they used too.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

ain't life fun and full of surprises... you being in southern CA I would imagine a great number of shows come around...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner