Breathless (Instrumental)

Started by StephenM, April 30, 2023, 05:54:25 PM

StephenM

breathless
Time:
0:00
Volume:
In headphones the drums and bass are a tad weak.... but if you hear this in the car or on some ref monitors at a bit higher volume the mix kicks ass... at least to me... Last year I learned alot of improvements in vocal eq and mixing... this year it is DRUMS!!!!!  My friend Zoltan drops me some great drum eq advice, most of which takes me a long time to sort of understand...but it makes me dig some more...

I got this idea for guitar and bass... played to a metronome... then attempted to add drums... I was lost...totally lost... and then wham....I just started playing... admittedly I gained some confidence as I went along on the journey of playing a drum line for 50 tries and 5 recordings.  lol...

and then the real work started... mixing this... eq ing this... compressing this... wow...

how to get the drums out better.... man this was a long and incredible journey...

it ain't perfect... and it is an evidence that I listened to alot of Rush on my journey through life and some of that comes out in the music for sure.... especially late 70's early 80's Rush...that was so amazing that stuff.... that band got in an awful lotta peoples heads... and what a band it was...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Kenneth

Enjoyed that Stephen, sounds like huge fun!
Yep, can hear the Alex influence.. don't you just love his playing?
I was actually listening to Signals(my fav.) and Moving pictures the other day on youtube. It was the record version. It's funny how I didn't realize how much synth they used in Signals, not sure if they remixed it later?
And I don't know, but I had to smile at some of the choices that were popular synth sounds ... especially songs like "Camera Eye"!
Anyhow, back to your tune... the mix is good here, the musicianship is great. I like what you did.
Keep them coming!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

StephenM

Quote from: Kenneth on April 30, 2023, 09:08:55 PMEnjoyed that Stephen, sounds like huge fun!
Yep, can hear the Alex influence.. don't you just love his playing?
I was actually listening to Signals(my fav.) and Moving pictures the other day on youtube. It was the record version. It's funny how I didn't realize how much synth they used in Signals, not sure if they remixed it later?
And I don't know, but I had to smile at some of the choices that were popular synth sounds ... especially songs like "Camera Eye"!
Anyhow, back to your tune... the mix is good here, the musicianship is great. I like what you did.
Keep them coming!

Signals is a great album... digital man... the analog kid... chemistry.... whats not to love....
And of course Moving Pictures was one of their best (some might argue)...
I really liked Test For Echo and Counterparts as well...
Heck, they are all great

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

godinqc

Great Rush instrumental .. vocals would also sound good on this track ..
Being Canadian , I'm a huge Rush fan, saw them in concert a couple of times ..
Really like the early Rush albums, Farewell to Kings, Hemisphere, Permanent Waves etc..
Great work  Stephen ..
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

Pipes

Great, full sound. full of energy.

Nick

chapperz66

Yes- I get the Rush vibes a bit too - but still unmistakeably Stephen.  I just know you will do a vocal version - at least I hope so...

I saw Rush a couple of times at the Hammersmith Odeon. I think is was A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres.  Probably with Nick. 

Redler

Yes, the ghost of The Rush is on the background, that's just a good thing. Nice work on guitar and the drum track is just superb! Nice rhythm changes and you play it very well!

Brilliant job, Stephen!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pipes

Quote from: chapperz66 on May 09, 2023, 02:54:30 PMYes- I get the Rush vibes a bit too - but still unmistakeably Stephen.  I just know you will do a vocal version - at least I hope so...

I saw Rush a couple of times at the Hammersmith Odeon. I think is was A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres.  Probably with Nick. 

Yes, re Rush the Hemisphere's tour.

Grand post
Nick