Get Out From My Door-Original

Started by Johnbee, April 17, 2023, 01:42:42 PM

Ted

I listened to this in a car today. Sure it's got a great horn arrangement, and melodic bass part, and a rhythm that keeps you a bit off balance. I was reminded of the thing that grabbed me when I first heard it: the vocal. I'm going to try to put it into words.

This is not the commanding voice of someone who is used to being assertive in the relationship; it's the voice of a mild-mannered man who has been pushed to his limits. That's the beauty of the vocal delivery. I imagine the other partner in disbelief. They never imagined their lapdog would stand up on its hind legs and bite back. The dizzying music is so perfect for the scene I imagine. Someone's world is being overturned, and they never believed the day would come (although they should have). This could be the scene that immediately followed the events in "The Missiles of October" - the long-suffering partner reaches their tipping point. It's not the sound of an explosion; it's sadness, disgust, and disappointment; it's the final whimper of air deflating out of the weak hope that the relationship would turn around.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Johnbee

Quote from: Frank53 on April 28, 2023, 08:05:34 AMVery cool song. Good lyrics and structure. Killer horn arrangement.
Thanks so much, Frank! :)

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Johnbee

Quote from: Ted on April 28, 2023, 09:55:49 AMI listened to this in a car today. Sure it's got a great horn arrangement, and melodic bass part, and a rhythm that keeps you a bit off balance. I was reminded of the thing that grabbed me when I first heard it: the vocal. I'm going to try to put it into words.

This is not the commanding voice of someone who is used to being assertive in the relationship; it's the voice of a mild-mannered man who has been pushed to his limits. That's the beauty of the vocal delivery. I imagine the other partner in disbelief. They never imagined their lapdog would stand up on its hind legs and bite back. The dizzying music is so perfect for the scene I imagine. Someone's world is being overturned, and they never believed the day would come (although they should have). This could be the scene that immediately followed the events in "The Missiles of October" - the long-suffering partner reaches their tipping point. It's not the sound of an explosion; it's sadness, disgust, and disappointment; it's the final whimper of air deflating out of the weak hope that the relationship would turn around.

....and the perfect ending would probably be the person being addressed coming up to this guy and KICKING HIM IN THE BALLS!!  !@013 ("You ain't kickin' ME out, Sucka')!

Cool idea!  %)!  !@004

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

Redler

So good, John!!

Nice jazzy vibe and the sax solos are just brilliant. Everything has been put well together!

Enjoyable listening!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Johnbee

Quote from: Redler on April 29, 2023, 08:54:52 AMSo good, John!!

Nice jazzy vibe and the sax solos are just brilliant. Everything has been put well together!

Enjoyable listening!
Almost missed this one!  Thanks Redler.
 :) John B

-Duke Ellington