Get Out From My Door-Original

Started by Johnbee, April 17, 2023, 01:42:42 PM

Johnbee

Quote from: Zoltan on April 22, 2023, 03:10:53 AMThat sax playing combined with the bassline made me feel like floating in the air.

I for one knew immediately that this was a JohnBee song. His knack of doing super complex songs with layered melodies and lots of stuff going on at the sametime and STILL making them easy to approach is bar none.

There's so much earcandy in this one. From the classic JohnBee vocs to all those jazzy stylings.

Thanks for listening, Zoltan.  ;)  I appreciate your kind words more than you know.

I got a confession to make to you guys.  "John Newly" is fictitious. But it's not me either (although I have much experience with the tenor saxophone I can't play anymore because of my asthma).  This is a program called Tenor Colossus by an outfit called Straight Ahead Samples. https://www.straightaheadsamples.com/.  The have a different approach to virtual instrument sampling which makes them sound super realistic and at a very affordable price.  How I came up with "John Newly"?  John, of course, is my real first name.  For Newly, I took the last three letters of my last name and reversed them (Bowen to "new", and just added the ly).

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Kenneth

This is fantastic! The horns are excellent. Your vocals are very good. It's hard to put a finger on the unsettling parts, but it works as a whole in an interesting way.
I would say this is a keeper.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Farrell Jackson

I'm on my second listen John and the song is way cool. Like Ted mentioned, it sounds like an odd timing but it is indeed 4/4. Each instrument has a lot of movement, but your good vocals and lyric anchor them all down well. Yes, I also hear some of Chicago's off the beaten path style here. Good songwriting!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Johnbee

Ken & Farrell-Thanks so much!

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

chapperz66

Personally I absolutely love this.  Sure, it's a bit strange - but there's nothing wrong with that.  I love the unusual and this has oodles of that.  Brilliantly put together and produced. 

Fantastic.

Paul

Johnbee

Quote from: chapperz66 on April 24, 2023, 03:43:26 PMPersonally I absolutely love this.  Sure, it's a bit strange - but there's nothing wrong with that.  I love the unusual and this has oodles of that.  Brilliantly put together and produced. 

Fantastic.

Paul

Thanks for listening and your comments, Paul!

-Duke Ellington

StephenM

Quote from: Johnbee on April 22, 2023, 08:26:54 AM
Quote from: Zoltan on April 22, 2023, 03:10:53 AMThat sax playing combined with the bassline made me feel like floating in the air.

I for one knew immediately that this was a JohnBee song. His knack of doing super complex songs with layered melodies and lots of stuff going on at the sametime and STILL making them easy to approach is bar none.

There's so much earcandy in this one. From the classic JohnBee vocs to all those jazzy stylings.

Thanks for listening, Zoltan.  ;)  I appreciate your kind words more than you know.

I got a confession to make to you guys.  "John Newly" is fictitious. But it's not me either (although I have much experience with the tenor saxophone I can't play anymore because of my asthma).  This is a program called Tenor Colossus by an outfit called Straight Ahead Samples. https://www.straightaheadsamples.com/.  The have a different approach to virtual instrument sampling which makes them sound super realistic and at a very affordable price.  How I came up with "John Newly"?  John, of course, is my real first name.  For Newly, I took the last three letters of my last name and reversed them (Bowen to "new", and just added the ly).

don't worry John/// I already figured that out... it doesn't change anything... it makes me dig you more... next time don't admit it!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ray Brookes

Nearly missed this one. What a fantastic track! Love those melodic bass-lines and the brass arranging is first class. Excellent production and what in the world are those chords? Great work - well done, John.
Ray Brookes

Johnbee

Quote from: Ray Brookes on April 26, 2023, 11:35:35 AMNearly missed this one. What a fantastic track! Love those melodic bass-lines and the brass arranging is first class. Excellent production and what in the world are those chords? Great work - well done, John.
Thanks Ray! The chords are an assortment of various and sundry major and minor 9ths, 11ths and a few 13ths. ;)

-Duke Ellington

Frank53

Very cool song. Good lyrics and structure. Killer horn arrangement.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.