Get Out From My Door-Original

Started by Johnbee, April 17, 2023, 01:42:42 PM

Johnbee

Get Out From My Door
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Original funk featuring the Memphis Soul sounds of the Kenhorst Brassworx featuring sax solos by John Newly.

I know it's not proper English but for a song I claim "literary license".
Enjoy!

How can I stay with you?
You're such a mess now.
How can you expect me to believe you
Your life is a crying shame
You're working on my last nerve, so get out from my door
Take it somewhere else.  I'm tired of you stealing all the sympathy
When I get back you'd better just be gone
Get out from my door

(Sax break)

Cold hearted and nasty.
You have no endearing charms
It's hard for me to sympathize with you now
when I see only alligator tears
I cannot be objective now.
The signs are all around.
Try to understand what I've been sayin'.  I just can't connect with you
Please take your phoney friendship with you
I can't take it anymore
You're working on my last nerve
So get out from my door.

(Horn break)

You're working on my last nerve
So get out from my door.

c2023 John Bowen Music

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Ted

This started playing in the jukebox, and my thought was, Damn this is weird! Who is this? I tabbed over to look and thought, Of course!

This is so odd and off balance. It gaslights you into thinking it's not in 4/4, but it is. So appropriate for the topic of the song. Take your destabilizing chaos and go!

Super cool.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bluesberry

Yes, it is comfortable and unsettling.....great sax sound......off kilter just enough to make it interesting without making one dizzy ....really cool song...really love the brass and sax...wonderful

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

thetworegs

That's some fab brass and sax as the others say an unsettled listen but addictive all the same ...

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Johnbee

Thanks for listening, thetworegs, Bluesberry, Ted.

It almost sounds to me that you don't like it, or something about it. Unsettling?  So sorry.  :(

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

StephenM

John, I think that being unsettling doesn't mean I don't like it.  There are certain things in art that portray say a certain image or emotion.  Since this song is about an unsettling relationship, or something like that I would say you nailed that image with the music.  The music is clever as ever with your songs.  There is something though a bit different about this one.  The other day when I first heard this it stopped me dead in my tracks.  I literally did not know how to respond to it, so I didn't. 

The only possible comp I have is maybe Chicago.  Obviously not so much the ones that made the radio.  Chicago had alot of great songs that took dedicated listening to get.  They weren't designed to be background music or something to sing along too... they made you think, made you engage.  This is like that to me...
the brass work sounds fantastic as well... and very much Chicago... which imo is pretty special!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ted

Quote from: Johnbee on April 20, 2023, 04:32:20 AMIt almost sounds to me that you don't like it, or something about it.

Speaking for myself: This might be my favorite thing of yours that I've ever heard.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Johnbee

Quote from: Ted on April 20, 2023, 05:49:38 AM
Quote from: Johnbee on April 20, 2023, 04:32:20 AMIt almost sounds to me that you don't like it, or something about it.

Speaking for myself: This might be my favorite thing of yours that I've ever heard.
Thanks again, Ted.

-Duke Ellington

Zoltan

That sax playing combined with the bassline made me feel like floating in the air.

I for one knew immediately that this was a JohnBee song. His knack of doing super complex songs with layered melodies and lots of stuff going on at the sametime and STILL making them easy to approach is bar none.

There's so much earcandy in this one. From the classic JohnBee vocs to all those jazzy stylings.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Johnbee

Quote from: StephenM on April 20, 2023, 05:45:04 AMJohn, I think that being unsettling doesn't mean I don't like it.  There are certain things in art that portray say a certain image or emotion.  Since this song is about an unsettling relationship, or something like that I would say you nailed that image with the music.  The music is clever as ever with your songs.  There is something though a bit different about this one.  The other day when I first heard this it stopped me dead in my tracks.  I literally did not know how to respond to it, so I didn't. 

The only possible comp I have is maybe Chicago.  Obviously not so much the ones that made the radio.  Chicago had alot of great songs that took dedicated listening to get.  They weren't designed to be background music or something to sing along too... they made you think, made you engage.  This is like that to me...
the brass work sounds fantastic as well... and very much Chicago... which imo is pretty special!

Thanks, Steve!  I'm glad you clarified that for me.
 I've been a huge fan of Chicago's for more than 50 years, mostly of the original band which featured the late and great Terry Kath on guitar.  Sometimes my horns tend to sound like theirs but this one I was going more for the funk/soul sound in the horns where you have the baritone sax holding the bottom more than a trombone (Chicago).  If you haven't already, you might want to check out some Tower Of Power or some old Otis Redding, Booker T & the MGs, Wilson Pickett recordings or even James Brown.  That's what I was trying to capture here. I don't think there's a bigger fan of the Chi-Guys anywhere on the planet besides me and I'm flattered you're comparing me to them, but I was really trying to capture some "soul" here.  Chicago has done some soul but they're mostly pop/rock.

-Duke Ellington