50 Songs in 90 Days - 2009

Started by T.C. Elliott, June 24, 2009, 03:56:32 PM

T.C. Elliott

July 4th through October 1st there is an on-line timed songwriting challenge called 50 songs in 90 days and the goal is to umm.. write 50 songs in 90 days.

Check it out here:  50 Songs in 90 Days

Once you have a profile you can list your songs by title only, demo viewable by logged in members, or demo viewed by everyone on the interweberverse. If you get at least 50 songs you "win" the satisfaction of writing 50 songs. Even if you get only 2 or 3 you have more songs than you'd normally write. (At least I would.)

The community is great over there and I've met several people I can genuinely call friend. I met Helen on the FAWM sponsored site that is currently hosting the 50/90 webpages who sang on the song I just posted in the 900 forum.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Greeny

I'll raise the stakes on that - how about 50 songs in a weekend? Lol.

It's a cool idea - a good way to motivate some songwriting!

Tony W

I doubt I could write 50 sentences in a weekend.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Davo

I procrastinate so much when it comes to lyrics, Id never be able to pull it off.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

T.C. Elliott

Even if you only get a handful of decent songs it's worth it. The community there is unbelievable. Plus there are good discussions in the forums (usually) about recording techniques etc etc... And some of you could definitely help the newbie recordists for sure.

Last year I got 51, this year probably won't get close... too much recording to do to focus on songwriting.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ferryman

No chance for me, I haven't written 50 songs in nearly 40 years of playing music!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Wow!

Haven't got time to follow the link now, does that include recording the demos!! (Rules me out :D)

I could probably write 50 songs in 90 days if I wasn't busy working, but there's no way I could record at the same time...

It's actually a really good discipline - I tried it years ago - try and write and finish a song every day or every other day. Maybe, four out of five turn out to be just "filler", but that fifth one always seems to be far better than it would have been if you'd just sat around waiting for inspiration...

What you end up doing is practicing the "90% sweat and hard work" that it takes to finish lyrics, hone chord sequences, etc. So that when inspiration does hit you, you're well in form and you don't get stuck with a promising idea that never gets finished...

I wish I had time to do this nowadays!! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

T.C. Elliott

Lots of people are doing 20/90 or other personal challenges. The idea is to just write. It is mostly a place to be able to listen to new music and get involved in collaborations and genres you might not normally get involved with. If you spend time commenting you'll get comments back (usually very supportive with maybe one or two things to work on.)

At any rate, it starts tomorrow my time. I'm sure I won't hit 50 this year as I have lots going on, but I'm definitely participating.

on the other hand I'm too competitive not to try once I get started so who knows...
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

guitarron

Quote from: Ferryman on June 29, 2009, 12:58:07 AMNo chance for me, I haven't written 50 songs in nearly 40 years of playing music!

Cheers,

Nigel
there ya have it

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Diego Ayala

I looked over the site and gave it a listen to some of the songs posted - some have music and some are just lyrics/poems.  I think it would be quite a challenge to do, but having a hard time as it is concentrating on learnin me how to use a recording studio and put down all of my songs and arrangements that I still remember from the last 38 years of doing music - hence buying the BR unit.  Want to complete all my un-recorded songs up to now (there are a lot) - and then take it to the next level and add all the missing instrumentation that I want to add to the songs --- Also, hoping on been able to colaborate with some of the folks on this BR forum...  I truly enjoy listening/reading to the postings this forum offers --- and right now, well can only participate in one forum @ a time - man. there are a lot of postings on the br site!

If someone would help me find "pinky & the brain", maybe could plot to change the earth rotation to allow us more time for music per day, say 48 - 72 hrs per day, and the boss man would only make you work for 10 hrs/day...

Thanks for the invite, and I have saved the url to check it out from time to time - I heard some pretty good music in there!