Corn, Beans, and Squash

Started by StephenM, March 26, 2023, 06:42:03 PM

StephenM

Corn, Beans, and Squash
Time:
0:00
Volume:
will be away for a while...  I think of all the songs I ever did this is closer to Frank Zappa than any other.  I am a fan of FZ but never tried to be him.... I'm also a Neil Young fan and never tried to be him either... truth be told I loved many bands, singers, and musicians.... so I likely will mime a few just because that is what happens. 

this song I really dig...it's really weird but there is an incredible side of this.... the end... I grew up with a community of SDA christians in upstate NY and there were several families who were of the Iriquois Nation.  I was close to some of them, very close...even calling them Aunt and Uncle... at some of the gatherings they sang a song called (UWAGINAE) (probably not spelled correct, but it is phonetic close) which meant Corn, Beans, and Squash.  These were known as 3 sisters and seemed to me to be a celebration of harvest.  My guess is that this was a sacred hymn to the ladies of the tribe who passed it down from generations.  I think my singing at the end closely resembles it. 

I included a you tube of Joanne.  I was not close to her, she was older.  I did know her.  Some of her relatives I knew well.  Joanne became an amazing talent who sang for Presidents etc. 

The drums brought this out I think... I like the idea of spontaneity born of practice..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OPDRUKt0dQ

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

BerryPatch

You're right this is Zappa-esque! It seems like your songs had been inching towards this sound but now it's full throttle...and glorious! Great tribal sounding drum work and atmospheric guitar, with vocals that push this to the stratosphere!

Frank53

Corn, Beans, and Oreos! Just what FZ would be doing if he grew up on a reservation.
Nice mix of American Indian rhythms, rock guitar, and whimsical lyrics.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Zoltan

Ah, did you notice that you managed to do the mix just right? It's organic sounding and there's a lot of depth to it.

As far as Zappa goes. To me this didn't sound like anything Zappa would do. This was slightly out there, but also quite together. I had to take a dose of three repeats on this one to make sure if i'm going to die on this hill. Turns out i'm not into dying and i just ended up just sliding down the mountain.

Now i gotta go... I have a shaking tent ceremony to attend.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Bluesberry

It's like you have created a whole new genre.......StephenM Rock.........it's hard to describe.....but so intriguing and satisfying....a bit of a trip into the subconscious mind........hypnotic......perception altering even....and you have reached perfection on this track with this style ...as Zolt-man says.....mix is just right......sounds perfect...but yet off in another dimension.......David Lynch in musical form perhaps.......it's like I want to do more than just listen to this...I want to bite into it like an sweet juicy apple.......absorbing all the juicy goodness.......wicked good.....I can't even imagine doing something like this........but yet here we are........the musical juice is dribbling down my face........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ray Brookes

You have amazing imagination when creating your music, Stephen. A very atmospheric piece and excellent production. Love that native American drum and a fascinating back story.
Ray Brookes

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on March 27, 2023, 11:35:39 AMIt's like you have created a whole new genre.......StephenM Rock.........it's hard to describe.....but so intriguing and satisfying....a bit of a trip into the subconscious mind........hypnotic......perception altering even....and you have reached perfection on this track with this style ...as Zolt-man says.....mix is just right......sounds perfect...but yet off in another dimension.......David Lynch in musical form perhaps.......it's like I want to do more than just listen to this...I want to bite into it like an sweet juicy apple.......absorbing all the juicy goodness.......wicked good.....I can't even imagine doing something like this........but yet here we are........the musical juice is dribbling down my face........

I don't know how to describe it better than that, but this is really good! Agree it was mixed well too

Except I hate squash. Yuk, you can butter it, salt it, brown sugar it, completely transform it into something else but I know there's squash in there and I ain't eatin' it. And don't get me started on yams!

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

thetworegs

Trippy ride through the mind of Stephen set on open ...... I enjoyed the ride too

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

TPB

Boozhoo NIIJII - An Ojibwe Word for Hello FRIEND/BROTHER, In my younger days I lived in the bush on the Canadian border for eight years My only neighbors were on the reservation and we shared some areas on the trap line. I know all about the three sisters and this song is very much a resemblance of their chants for the harvest, plus your songs always bring a smile to my face
Well done brother
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Redler

This is so captivating. You are so creative...never know what can be expected!

The "tribal" drum is phenomenal!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR