"Down Home"Original Instrumental

Started by Johnbee, March 24, 2023, 11:57:50 AM

Johnbee

Down Home 192
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A few weeks ago I bought a sample library called Tenor Colossus, which is a sampled tenor saxophone.  I immediately started experimenting with it and came up with this instrumental.  I have much experience with the tenor sax having owned one and played it in my school band.  This sounds very close to real IMHO.  It's by an outfit called Straight Ahead Samples.  Do you think it sounds real?  If I would've told you that I broke out my old tenor and recorded this, would you have believed it?  I had it duet it with the trombone in Session Horns Pro.  Would like your thoughts.

Thanks
John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Redler

Laid back jazzy number. The sax sounds great and you've composed fine melodies from start to finish.

Relaxing and enjoyable!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Sounds very convincing. As always, a meticulous and thoroughly tuneful production. Lovely!

StephenM

I doubt I am qualified to say but it sounds real to me.  Just wondering why you don't use your real one though? 
A rare treat happened once at open mic.  A sax player showed up and a trumpet player (didn't know each other and neither ever came before).... it was awesome when they played with a guitar player.  I like real instruments but I also realize it can be alot more work too.
anyway nice instrumental

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Johnbee

Thanks so much, Redler & Greeny.  :)

Quote from: StephenM on March 25, 2023, 06:27:43 AMI doubt I am qualified to say but it sounds real to me.  Just wondering why you don't use your real one though? 

Thank you, Steve.  Reason I don't play my real horn anymore is because of my asthma.  A few years ago I tried to blow a few notes on my clarinet, which is considerably smaller than a tenor sax, and got extremely winded.  It's not physically possible for me anymore.  It's sad because I really miss playing.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Ron D Bowes

Sounds close enough for jazz ;-) It's amazing (and a little worrying) how close these things can sound now. Very chill vibe going on. Nice track JB.

Blooby

It's amazing what can be done at home these days. Very pleasing tune to boot.

Blooby

StephenM

Quote from: Johnbee on March 25, 2023, 08:08:03 AMThanks so much, Redler & Greeny.  :)

Quote from: StephenM on March 25, 2023, 06:27:43 AMI doubt I am qualified to say but it sounds real to me.  Just wondering why you don't use your real one though? 

Thank you, Steve.  Reason I don't play my real horn anymore is because of my asthma.  A few years ago I tried to blow a few notes on my clarinet, which is considerably smaller than a tenor sax, and got extremely winded.  It's not physically possible for me anymore.  It's sad because I really miss playing.

:) John B

o man... that is tough... i understand.... cool that you can scratch that itch this way! 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Kenneth

I'm sorry to hear that health problems are causing you to not be able to do what you want. Thankfully we have options. I love the light feel. good work creating this. After all we are songcrafters, right... whatever it takes to make the song... nice work.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

It's a shame you can't play the real sax anymore, but you can't really tell much difference with that software. It sounds amazing. What an excellent instrumental jazz instrumental.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.