New Guitar - Michael Kelly Custom Collection 60 Ultra Blue Burst

Started by Pete C, March 15, 2023, 06:16:37 AM

Pete C

A few weeks ago Kenny Mac sent me a link to a gorgeous Michael Kelly Telecaster at a discounted price from Bax Music. As tempting as it was, I already have a Tele and as I have a fairly modest collection of guitars if I buy a new one I go for something I don't already have. I know Kenny has a few Michael Kellys and speaks highly of them so I had a look at the other models and spotted this one, reduced from £892 to £434. I don't have a HSS Strat-style and GAS kicked in. As Mrs C's approval was given I ordered it on a Saturday night and it arrived the following Tuesday.

It's a strat-style with a bridge humbucker and two single coils. The body is Korina with a very attractive burl maple veneered top in a blue burst with natural maple binding. The neck is maple with a birds-eye maple veneer on the headstock. The neck has a thin satin finish which is very comfortable. The fretboard is Pao Ferro with a compound radius going from 10.5 to 16 inches.

Out of the box there were no flaws in the finish, the fretboard was looking a bit dry so I treated that with some lemon oil. The action was a little higher than I like so I lowered it slightly, changed the strings from 10's to 9's which I prefer, re-adjusted the floating tremelo and put a little relief into the neck which was very straight.

The guitar has the usual strat-style 5 way pickup selector and the humbucker can be split with the push-pull volume knob. There's also a small toggle switch which when engaged adds the neck pickup to any other combination. In total there's 11 different pickup combinations available.

After a few days playing at home I used it at our band rehearsal and it fits in nicely. It's also quite light on the strap so no back-ache after 3 hours rehearsal.

All in all, well worth the price I paid for it and it's certainly going to get some use !
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farrell Jackson

A really nice-looking guitar Pete and at a good price! By your description of the electronics and the 11 different pickup configurations, I know it has to sound and play good. A cool grab!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

ODH

That's a fine looking guitar Pete. I confess I've never been drawn to Strat style guitars but that looks a peach.

My GAS levels are already high and this is only stoking them. I'm trying to resist getting myself a Squier Jazzmaster.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Pete C

Quote from: ODH on March 15, 2023, 04:20:42 PMMy GAS levels are already high and this is only stoking them. I'm trying to resist getting myself a Squier Jazzmaster.

Go for it Nick - life's too short.
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Mike_S

Quote from: Pete C on March 15, 2023, 05:11:25 PM
Quote from: ODH on March 15, 2023, 04:20:42 PMMy GAS levels are already high and this is only stoking them. I'm trying to resist getting myself a Squier Jazzmaster.

Go for it Nick - life's too short.

Hehe, yes this site wants more gear! :)

A beautiful axe Pete, one of the nicest I have seen recently. Glad it seems to sound as good as it looks.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

Cool looking guitar! I'm sure it holds a lot of great tunes in it :)

The only reason not to get a Squier Jazzmaster would be if you'd get a Fender Jazzmaster... I'm probably going to succumb into this, or other temptation in near future. Hopefully not too near....

Buying one now would be in the Nick of time :D

Quote from: Mike_S on March 17, 2023, 09:33:30 AMHehe, yes this site wants more gear! :)

Yes, GAS is a gift that keeps on giving.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper