The Gate - an original from Thetworegs and chapperz

Started by chapperz66, March 08, 2023, 06:00:03 AM

chapperz66

05 - The Chapman Smith Collective - The Gate
Time:
0:00
Volume:
NewGearFest (banner image missing)

Caution!  This is an epic progrock monster. 

It has taken a while to do this.  I've spent about 3 days just trying to mix and master it.  I made the mistake of asking my wife what she thought of it.  She replied: "There isn't much about it that isn't weird."  That'll do for me then!

I picked up EZdrummer 3 in the festive sales hence the festival submission.  This song started as a learning exercise in how to use it so I had to do something that needed tempo and time signature changes.  As always Trevor blew the vocals into the stratosphere!

As is often the case I have had to export this at a very low bitrate to fit here but I will add a link to Soundcloud where you can listen at all it's ludicrous pomposity if you wish.

I really quite pleased with this.

Paul Chapman 

https://soundcloud.com/chapman-smith-collective/05-the-chapman-smith-collective-the-gate?si=35496f8509ae4d1d89ad2e38ab8fde13&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

The Gate is open
lets walk on through
The Gate is open
Lets walk on through

There are no locks there are no bars
Just an open mind that will take you far
Look on up open out to the stars
Come lets pretend we can fly to mars

Now all you need is an imagination, you have got an imagination haven't you? Right well walk through the gate
The gate is open lets walk on through
The gate is open
The gate is open for you
Are you coming
Let's go look back through time.   
Your gonna stand there
Through the stars, we can fly
Past the tragedy of man
We can fly
That age of Aquarius is gone
The revolution is over
All you got to do is want to
They Forget
They forgot
How to fly
They forgot
They forgot
They forgot
They forgot how to fly

Hold on
Hold on  Hold on minute! Are you one of the voodoo which doctors trying to get inside my head. Trying to read my mind to control my day to day living to get hold of my money try to control my actual soul, what are you?what do you want with the likes of me? I mean come on do I look like the kinda guy who believes in that kinda shit! Of course! I look up to the stars. Think about things! I mean I think about all sorts of things! Once I looked up top the stars and thought who made the stars ? In fact who made me ? my mum and dad who made mum and dad ? Grandparents ,went all the way back the caveman. And I though Who made him? God,  now who made God ? I don't know, do you know? Where do stars come from ? Who made stars?How far away is space? How far does it go back? I've asked my self lots of questions lots and lots of question. I mean who am?  I'm just a little grain sat in the middle of this whole damn thing this timepiece that that keeps ticking on, going round and round the sun. What does the sun go round? I tell you I've got questions 

There are no locks there are no bars 
Go back in time follow the stars
Are you coming?
Hold my hand
I'll lead the way
The gate is open
Past the tragedy of man
The age of Aquarius is done
The revolution is over
they forgot
they forgot
How to fly
they forgot
How
How to fly 

The gate is open
it's open
The gate is open
The gate is open
Don't forget to fly
Don't forget to fly

Ron D Bowes

I have been working on a couple of prog rock tracks with Kingstorm. So I can appreciate the hard work and discipline that goes into a track like this. Very well constructed and cool playing and vocal delivery. Great piece of axe playing towards the end. You've done a good job with the drums too. Much enjoyed.

Ray Brookes

I have been looking at EZ Drummer recently but have to get the costing passed by my treasurer (wife) This is an astonishing work with so much happening. The instrumentation is phenomenal and the amount of work in mixing this epic is unimaginable. That tempo change at around 4.30 works so well and the guitar work is so bloody brilliant, Paul. As always Trevor gives a masterful performance on the vocals. Great work, guys.
Ray Brookes

chapperz66

Quote from: Ray Brookes on March 08, 2023, 10:24:17 AMI have been looking at EZ Drummer recently but have to get the costing passed by my treasurer (wife)

Thanks Ray.  I totally empathise with the need to get the domestic accountant to sanction stuff!  But without adding to any strife - I have to say that EZ drummer has been revolutionary in terms of my workflow. Up until now I have used multitrack drum loops mixed with my own feeble patterns using one-shot samples where I can't find any loops to fit.  This is really restrictive and often means that I was stuck with the tempo of the loop and write music to fit the loops rather than the other way around.  Not really the way it should be (says the non-drummer).

It's early days for me with EZD but it works great so far.  Tempo freedom rules!

Paul     

kenny mac

The gate is really opened here chaps and all those demos are crawling out.
There is a zappa like quality with a hint of Alice Cooper.
And that change later on with a totally different time signiture is off its head ,but it works.
It falls right back into place.
What a musical trip.
My mind could never create something like this.
Astounding.

Pipes

..Harmony guitars
Great time signatures...(lost count after the count of 4...
Super, punchy bass lines
Great vocals and lyrics..so very fond of that vocal tone

The gate is open :)

Epic guys.. so creative

Nick

StephenM

I'll be listening to this many times... it's a lot to digest... initial listening...

and the verdict is WOW

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

Well, I like the beast that prog rock brings out in musicians and this monster has broken out and is on the loose! Great multiple vocals/lyrics, Trevor. Paul, the music (drums, guitar, bass and keys) is stellar and the mix is fantastic! Oh, just got to the tempo change, cool! 6 1/2 minutes of prog listening pleasure!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Mike_S

Ah, the dreaded I'll ask the wife what she thinks... I know that feeling :) I only very rarely play my other half anything I do due to the unpredicatable responses  ;D

Guys, you gotta be so proud of this one, it is absolutely brilliant. I was about to go to bed and just pressed play on this before I turned in. So glad I did. Mindblowing stuff, some amazing unpredictable sections but they fit really organically to the piece. That spoken bit in the middle is great. If you could get this heard by some people from a decent prog record label I'd love to know what they would think.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

&uck me. You guys went and did it again. The percussion under parts of the spoken word part is crazy good as is the arrangement/orchestration. Trev's singing on your last post is next level stuff, and that solo is nuts. This is inspiring me to veer away from the concise rock tunes I've been attempting and once again throw caution to the wind.

Just stellar.

Blooby