Punk Garage

Started by StephenM, March 07, 2023, 01:49:09 PM

StephenM

Punk Garage
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I did this a bit different.  Lately I have wanted to avoid metronomes and click tracks or drum tracks.  I am exploring keeping time in the various instruments I play and trying to relate them better to each other.  More like a band but the challenge is to keep in mind that I must come back and play with the first track (s)... so if I get out of synch and then do that multiple times by the end of the last instrument add it can get messy...

I had guitar and bass tracks that I was playing drums to but it just wasnt working so i took the remembrance of what the music was in my head and muted all the instruments and played drums to the music in my head for about 2 minutes.... then I came back and actually started with that highly effected bass track.  I used the Boss ME-25 with some distorted and effected sound so it really is more like a beefy guitar track and growly... but the real bottom bass I decided not to add back in ...

Two guitar tracks with the Les Paul... and then I did 3 vocal tracks.

I think this is more like Frank Zappa playing with the Cars... really grunged up maybe a bit 90's grungy?  anyway... it is kind of cool and lots of energy.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Mike_S

A little punkier than usual Steve. A nice fresh sound for you. I agree with the Frank Zappa reference, those low register vocals are great. Seems like you have been very creative in your recording methods and as ever you tear up the rule book and come up with the goods. Great track.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

This is great stuff! It was a little loose at the beginning but you actually got grooving and kept time quite well. If that's the way you gotta do it, go for it! I love click track myself though, some acoustic stuff I didn't but it keeps me honest when the tracks stack heavy.

Well done, crackin' track!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Blooby

I love your weirdness, and you are indeed weird. It should be a badge of honor.  Cool vocal layering here.

Blooby

Zoltan

From the get go it's easy to hear that what we're hearing are the rejects from Nirvana.

It's the same case as with Metallica and Megadeth. Instead of being kicked out of Metallica Stephen was kicked out from Nirvana (because he ate their lunch). And the rest as they say is HISTORY!

Nirvana is no more. Stephen is here to stay! Think about that for a minute... Well maybe not that long. Otherwise S will steal your lunch.

The bassline is cool and the guitar playing is quirky. The drummer alternates between keeping the beat and going Animal on us. And we like that!

The vocs are both Zappa and Stephen in equal measures. There's the low voice and there's that high voice. Then there's some noise. And we like that too!

If someone doesn't like this... He/she/it should get an indian(* burn.

(* I know it's a flammable word at this day and age, but it's used for historical purposes.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Pete C

Love the punk and grungy vibes on this and it has a real live garage band feel. Great stuff !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Ron D Bowes

Cool intro. Punky strangeness. That Zappa - Beerfheart vibe showing again.

Ray Brookes

Always different and interesting from you, Steve. God only knows how you put these songs together and how you conceive them in the first place. Love that grungy, punky Ramones kinda feel mixed in with the weirdness of Zappa. You have a very eclectic style of writing. 
Ray Brookes

kenny mac

I would have liked the vocals up in the mix and the guitar pulled back.
I had added this to my car list tonight and pushed it up.
I felt the flanged or phased guitar was over whelming the track.

Could here a cars vibe in there.
Good rocking vibe.
Love the drums.

StephenM

Quote from: kenny mac on March 08, 2023, 12:34:19 PMI would have liked the vocals up in the mix and the guitar pulled back.
I had added this to my car list tonight and pushed it up.
I felt the flanged or phased guitar was over whelming the track.

Could here a cars vibe in there.
Good rocking vibe.
Love the drums.

I listened to this in my car last night on the way home from open mic Kenny and I agree that in the car the mix sounded like hell.. it's weird... I think some of it too is the way I panned this... I have been screwing around with the low ends on tracks trying to get away from being so boomy on the bottom at higher volumes.. I think most of my mixes sound better in headphones.  I do use reference monitors (smaller JBL's) to mix but likely my ears are shot too... I will probably attempt a remix at this... thanks everyone for listening and your comments...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner