It's Better To Do What Is Right

Started by StephenM, March 02, 2023, 05:25:46 PM

StephenM

It's Better To Do What Is Right (mix 3)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I fired my producer because I felt the first master lacked enough ba  ll  ssssssss........ kind of like some other bands I knew.... .... eny wey..... I like this better....

orig post attached below

.It's Better To Do What Is Right.mp3

Not a valid attachment ID.It's Better To Do What Is Right (mix 3).mp3

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

chapperz66

Dreamy stuff, Stephen.  Atmospheric as hell - and then the guitar solo kicked in!  Cool!

Paul

Zoltan

I'm a huge fan of going DI from time to time. There's something special magic happening when everything is so bluntly direct and there's nothing to hide behind. It's a certain sound that can work, or sound like a horrible pile of...

Holy moly. You're constantly hitting the ball out of the park. Reaching new highs. The vocal production is lovely and you're once again deep in your "S the Artist" mode (TM). You're selling the song. The nights spend at the open mics have really done a good number on you!

The production. Wowser. The depth. The way you're bringing stuff into the foreground and moving them away. The small details in the vocals and the Mike Oldfield'esq guitar soloing.

Dreamy, lovely and magical. One of your best songs and in keeping with your latest growth as a songwriter, performer and as a musician. I think we need to keep an eye out on for this young man!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

thetworegs

loving this Steve those gentle vocals work a treat like whispered secret has CSN vibe going on

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Farrell Jackson

I too hear a CS&N vibe in the vocal layers and production. The clean layered guitars have a lot of presence in the song. Even the outro lead guitar has a Stills or Young vibe to it. Good stuff man!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

BerryPatch

Great guitar and bass sound here! I definitely get an Alex Lifeson vibe in the arpeggios when he went cleaner and a Geddy Lee vibe in the vocals and lyrics. It's also got a bit of a math rock feel, like the band American Football perhaps. Cool vocal layering and I love how the song keeps building to that rocking jam. Well done!

StephenM

It's Better To Do What Is Right
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This was the orig post....

I decided to plug my Harley Benton straight into the board and record it.  I edited the eq and added compression in Audacity, then copied it for a total of 3 tracks of that clean guitar.  I added different effects to each and panned them.  Then I saved them in a stereo track.

Vocals I did in a similar way.  I used the EV dynamic mic.  Two backing tracks.  Then I saved the vocals as a stereo track after various effects and panning.

two backing vocal tracks.  Same kind of processing.

Bass is Shecter, DI, played with a pick on the breakdown at the end.  The breakdown at the end I added in at the end.

Then I did drums and I did the drums for the breakdown without any music.  I just sort of went for it with an idea in my head.  This turned out ok... but my timing was not perfect and it did sort of get mucked up a bit... but I decided to leave it.

Then I added in the grungy rhythm guitar and the lead....

This kind of reminds me of late 60's early 70's stuff.  I don't really try and make songs come out a certain way but more or less build them one piece at a time..
It's Better To Do What Is Right.mp3

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

The bass sounds awesome, as too do the other instruments, i love the different guitars and tones you got. some great riffs and melodies. love the panning, great mixing steve.
This is one of your best. that guitar solo is perfect.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

launched

Damn, a super fine tune - great build and such a strong lead guitar on the back end.

Frickin' sweet!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Zoltan

Perhaps you should make an album this year? A digital release. This would certainly be one of those album songs.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper