She Walks The Plank

Started by StephenM, February 21, 2023, 09:07:18 PM

StephenM

She Walks The Plank (Audacity Mix)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
EDITED MIX:
I redid the mix using only Audacity.  This is the first time I have only used Audacity (with Masterdesk plug in). 
The song I like the kind of quirky sound to this.  I think I like this mix better at low volume or with headphones on. 
I have reached a level of competency on drums with a song like this to play this in one take.  Really all my recordings pretty much now are lessons in how to record and mix acoustic drums. 
I have come miles in learning how to eq individual tracks (on all instruments and voices) and honestly Audacity makes this much easier IMO than Bandlab does.  I like Bandlabs preset effects though.  Audacity I am learning to use the reverb and the delay and compression etc.  Panning is a bit harder to change during the tracks but not impossible. 
I suppose I should suck it up and learn say Reaper but it just seems to be a bit much for me right now. 

I feel this gets a little boring in spots.  Any suggestions for adds to make it better? 

ORIGINAL POST:

a result of an idea that sprang forth from a family jam at our youngest son's 18th birthday party.  I found this cool accordion on the Casio keyboard.  Black keys make for some cool sounds... recorded vocals using my Senheiser dynamic mic... then I added a Clavinova sound for bass, recorded drums and did a quick mix on the Zoom L-20 and a bit of post production on the Audacity and Masterdesk.

Jay Turser strat otherwise through the Boss ME-25Not a valid attachment ID.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Bluesberry

It's different and kooky sounding.........and really satisfying.......lovely groove..........I have a feeling I will require multiple listens of this wild ride of a song

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Johnbee

Steve, every time I hear one of your songs and your vocal work I feel a whimsical reaction similar to when I put on a Zappa record.  So, if that's the vibe you want to put out, it's working.  You have a sound of your own, Bro!
Family jam sessions?  How cool!!  It's really neat that you have the family involved in your music. (I just hope you didn't give your kids weird names like "Moon Unit" and Dweezel" ;) ).

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

StephenM

She Walks The Plank
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is the first mix that I did on the Zoom L-20 that I first posted.  I may still add things to the song... it just depends if I feel inspired to or not.  I don't often work on several songs at a time but lately there has been alot going on here at the house with guests and things here so I have had limited time to work on recording.  However I have been having a great time jamming with friends and family and working on live playing stuff and playing at open mic. 

I have become a bit of a mentor to some youngers in music and I try and convey the idea to be original as you can.  Just be you.  I think doing covers or at least learning other songs is important to developing music ability on instruments and understanding structure.  However, if someone aspires to song writing as an original artist then try to be original.  Just be you.  Whatever that is at the moment.  At least that honesty in what you do will come through even if only a few people ever get your vibe. 
Also as difficult as it may be to put yourself out there in live situations it does spur a lot of growth in overall song and presentation awareness.  I have found open mics to be a pretty safe environment to explore and develop and sometimes find interesting spontaneous collaborations. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

thetworegs

Great to hear you're busy with music Steve  I prefer the 2nd mix sounds like you're having a hell of a good time. Your right to be original is the aim a songwriter should take even on covers to my mind 😳

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

kenny mac

Getting a doors vibes with this one.
I like the lower register timbre of the vocal.
Nice one.

BerryPatch

Synth-pop Jim Morrison! (I suppose you could also say The Idiot by Iggy Pop as well). Very interesting and dark sort of track. I love that clav bass sound, it's super in the pocket with those rocking drums. I can't think if too much more you could add to this, it sounds pretty full as is. Maybe some extra synth parts and funky/punky rhythm guitar?

Rene Asologuitar

Hi Stephen,
This is truly original, and I love your vocals on this recording.
Getting involved in music is a beautiful thing, giving back is so generous act, Stephen!
Lovely, simply lovely!!!
Thanks for this beauty!
Warm regards,
Rene

Zoltan

This works a treat. I tried to describe what is happening here, but i felt like walking the plank...

I'm really digging this one. You're putting a lot of ideas into it yet keeping everything knit tightly together. It never loses focus. Also the vocals are fab!

As for the gear. It doesn't matter what DAW you use... If Audacity has everything you need then just fly with that! You just need the audacity to admit it :D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

SE

Always interesting,innovative and pushing the music which is always cool.
Great recording with some great effects, cool stuff!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80