Top 5 favorite guitarists

Started by bruno, February 21, 2023, 04:59:48 AM

Bluesberry

For me this question comes down to who influenced me the most in my guitar journey...who did I obsess over and play along with while learning how to noodle about as a guitar player...that is what my list represents...if you were to break down my playing it would basically be a watered down version of aspects of these 5 dudes...

1)  Neil Young......this guy plays like nobody else and he seems to have a direct link from his guitar to his soul and very being......intense guitar, yet relatively simple...and that tone......this guy has been a constant musical companion with me for most of my life

2)  Eric Cplaton........the sound of the Beano album...his ledgendary playing.....that tone......I love his playing...Cream.....the Layal album....solo .......huge inspiration and influence for me...

3)  Rory Gallagher.....I consider Rory to be the greatest blues rocker of them all and I listen to his music constantly ....such an incredible player...mesmerizing and I bought  strat because of him...lol

4)  Pete Townshend......one of the greatest rhythm players in rock...I have learned a lot about playing rhythm guitar by watching Pete over the years...his chord voicings up the neck, etc...a true monster of rock guitar

5)  Bruce Cockburn...Canadian fingerstyle guitar player extradoinare....one of the finest acoustic players alive...I have listened to his music my whole life and it soothes my soul......I began my journey with fingerstyle playing because of Bruce primarily and through him to all the great fingerstyle acoustic players (Fahey, Jansch, Drake, etc etc)...love this guy

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Bluesberry on February 23, 2023, 07:14:51 PMFor me this question comes down to who influenced me the most in my guitar journey...who did I obsess over and play along with while learning how to noodle about as a guitar player...that is what my list represents...if you were to break down my playing it would basically be a watered down version of aspects of these 5 dudes...

1)  Neil Young......this guy plays like nobody else and he seems to have a direct link from his guitar to his soul and very being......intense guitar, yet relatively simple...and that tone......this guy has been a constant musical companion with me for most of my life

2)  Eric Cplaton........the sound of the Beano album...his ledgendary playing.....that tone......I love his playing...Cream.....the Layal album....solo .......huge inspiration and influence for me...

3)  Rory Gallagher.....I consider Rory to be the greatest blues rocker of them all and I listen to his music constantly ....such an incredible player...mesmerizing and I bought  strat because of him...lol

4)  Pete Townshend......one of the greatest rhythm players in rock...I have learned a lot about playing rhythm guitar by watching Pete over the years...his chord voicings up the neck, etc...a true monster of rock guitar

5)  Bruce Cockburn...Canadian fingerstyle guitar player extradoinare....one of the finest acoustic players alive...I have listened to his music my whole life and it soothes my soul......I began my journey with fingerstyle playing because of Bruce primarily and through him to all the great fingerstyle acoustic players (Fahey, Jansch, Drake, etc etc)...love this guy

great commentary on these...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ray Brookes

My favourite top 5 would be:

Angelo Debarre
Joscho Stephan
Tommy Emmanuel
Mark Knopfler
Chet Atkins

There are countless others of course but these are the ones I like listening to the most.

Now, can we have a top five favourite drummers?
Ray Brookes

Jean Pierre

for me, (I am in France) and I take back my preference in the chronology of their influence

1/ Hank Marvin he was the first one who appealed to me it was in 1960, he was the owner of one of the very first Fender stratocaster in Europe the stratocaster/ vox amp/ echo chamber sound was a revolution for the young teenager that we were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgbcyfJgfQ

When I hear this particular sound I can't help but think of Tommy (Fenderbender)

2/ Narciso Yepes The music of the movie Forbidden Games has become over time more famous than the movie itself. It is through this piece that I discovered in the 60's another aspect of the guitar (classical guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBgDq5N6lCs

Note that Narciso Yepes was one of the first to use a 10-string guitar, although in this piece he does not play the 4 low strings added, if not by harmonic resonance

3/ ChucK Berry ..another revolution in the guitar the bend double stop of chuck berry, that I knew in fact by Cliff Richard in the cover of Route 66 it is this solo at 1 mn 13 that makes us definitely poured with my group of teenager of the time in the rock music Rolling Stone versus Beatles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q131ZJ6YkG0

4/ Marcel Dadi, French guitarist, emulator of Chet Atkins, through whom I discovered in 1973 the finguer picking which opened me to all this generation of guitarist from Merle Travis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhgomJGa4gk

5/ and finally for me the greatest and most beautiful Pierre Bensusan ;) and another revolution for me the open tuning and more precisely the Dadgad (D A D G A D tuning) of which he was (and still is) the champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luWveym90uE

Of course I could have made a dozen lists different from this one
Jimmy Hendrix, Roland Dyens, Baden Pauwell, Jerry Reed, Django Reinhart, Eric Clapton, Joao Gilberto, Joe Pass, Mark Knopfler, John Renbourn, Wess Montgomery, etc. etc. etc. there are so many in my pantheon

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo