I'm Holding Onto (LITLR)

Started by StephenM, February 09, 2023, 05:01:26 PM

StephenM

I'm Holding Onto
Time:
0:00
Volume:
a quick idea came to me during practice this evening and I wanted to do a recording to not forget the idea of it...

Ibanez A/E guitar and one voice recorded with the left and right mics to the Zoom R24... I had to hurry because some people are coming and I didn't get to redo it... I would have liked the vocals a bit louder but I may write this into something bigger.

I am working on my live work.. because I am reaching for more passion that I can deliver without a band... or too many gadgets.  The best artists live can bring passion.  Some it's fun and clever but some it is the ability to convey deep emotion.... I would like to be that.. and probably the other one too..

this is a haunting and emotive track...

I took the two mono tracks to audacity.  I eq'd the tracks differently, and added compression to one and reverb to the other... and mastered with masterdeskI'm Holding Onto.mp3

My wife heard  a little piece of this... she says "What's that?"  speaking of one of the chords... so I showed her and she says.... "That's wrong."  I laughed and said... "You're right."....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Im_Holding_Onto (Bandlab and Masterdesk)
Time:
0:00
Volume:

here is an alternative mix... if you care to let me know which you like better... 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Trist

Brooding track , very dark, The first mix is better the 2nd is too distant sounding imo

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

It's a good job you recorded this down in time Steve..it's going to be a great song. Love the acoustic guitars. Brilliant chord progressions and playing. I love both versions..the second one I thought was actually a bit louder..and more reverb on vocals.
It sounds like Neil young singing on a Radiohead track..I bloody love it. I like the repetition of the chords..it's quite contagious..like " chanting" quite hypnotic Listening..catchy !
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Bluesberry

Absolutely incredible Steve......this makes me think of Neutral Milk Hotel.......the album Aeroplane over the Sea..........if you already know of this album, excuse my ignorance......but you have something very strong going on here.........I'm going to study this one for a while......stellar........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

This sounds very deep and proggy, kind of like ELP or something, or early Heart. Nice guitar strums, and the vox is really good.

A dark Valentine Fest tune maybe?

Glad I caught this!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

StephenM

Quote from: launched on February 10, 2023, 12:37:23 PMThis sounds very deep and proggy, kind of like ELP or something, or early Heart. Nice guitar strums, and the vox is really good.

A dark Valentine Fest tune maybe?

Glad I caught this!

I hadn't thought of that.... I wonder if it qualifies...????

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

launched

Yes, I had another listen (several listens) and it is fabulous. If I wrote a Valentine song it would be like this for sure! "I'm hurting down inside I miss you so" The best song I've heard from you, I love it. Just really great.

I know this is just a song but I can really feel you want that girl to come back to you... Now!!

Love it!

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ray Brookes

Love this, Stephen. Got a Massive Attack kinda feel and as Trist says - dark and brooding. Very emotive and a little ... I dunno ... disturbing maybe? Great writing.
Ray Brookes

BerryPatch

What a great track Stephen! Lots of tension here with just an acoustic guitar and voice. I definitely catch a Neutral Milk Hotel vibe here even if it wasn't intentional. You have a similar passion in your voice as you sing this with the stripped back arrangement and gloomy chords. I would love to see some video of you at your open mic!