Do you like Rat? I got me a Bat!

Started by Zoltan, January 30, 2023, 02:59:04 PM

Zoltan

Story time. In the mid 90s the bass player in our band told me that i'd need to get a Rat. He used to have one in the 80s and it was just what i needed.

Cue a few decades (i'm slow on following advice!) and i still hadn't tried a Rat and all the talk about vintage Rat vs later models got me confused. I wouldn't want to end up buying several.

Then comes the JHS Ratpack. I almost promised myself to buy that. But it doesn't have the "magical" LM308 chip.

Then out of the blue comes the Drunk Beaver Cold War Bat. With more options than i need. And the rest is history!

IMG_20230130_192035_edited.jpeg

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

Let's hear that Bat!

I've watched the JHS deep dives into Rat pedals, and I've become more Rat curious. I already have a Tube Screamer clone on my crowded little pedal board, and don't have room for any more pedals. So I'm intrigued by this; the prospect to replace my TS with a TS-Rat combo.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Here's a (not so great) example of the BAT:
https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=33391.0

I blame you for having to upload this abomination as an example :D The BAT can do better!

That Science Fair pedal looks like a great one. Pushing a Rat with Tubescreamer is a common thing to do and something that can make it behave better in certain situations.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

bruno

I have a Wampler Ratsbane mini pedal. I'm still getting used to it, I'm more of a smooth distortion type person, but you have to push your own boundaries. That looks like a cool pedal, have fun with that. There are way too many pedals on the list ......

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Zoltan

Quote from: bruno on February 03, 2023, 07:35:12 AMI have a Wampler Ratsbane mini pedal

That's a cool pedal! I would have bought that if it had come my way... I tried to hold out for the JHS Ratpack, but i'm actually happier with this one. I was in a "i'm not going to buy anything" mode and then this appeared...

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

bruno

Quote from: Zoltan on February 03, 2023, 07:48:21 AM
Quote from: bruno on February 03, 2023, 07:35:12 AMI have a Wampler Ratsbane mini pedal

That's a cool pedal! I would have bought that if it had come my way... I tried to hold out for the JHS Ratpack, but i'm actually happier with this one. I was in a "i'm not going to buy anything" mode and then this appeared...

Yip - I was going to buy no more pedals, until  the EHX C9 came along and then the Walrus Slo (which is a pedal that you can play with for hours and hours) popped up second hand. My oh my oh my ....

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Zoltan

Quote from: bruno on February 06, 2023, 06:04:43 AMand then the Walrus Slo

I got the Walrus Audio Fathom for the same reason. It popped up second hand and the price was too good to pass...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper