Great production tips and thoughts here...

Started by Mike_S, January 30, 2023, 09:01:53 AM

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Bluesberry

Quote from: StephenM on February 09, 2023, 07:29:37 AMI am going to spend the time to watch this.

That's a big video........skimmed through it.......lots of cool tips....maybe when people watch it they can summarize the tips they got out of it and post in this thread so it will help everyone who reads this thread.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Mike_S

Tell you what Bluesberry, I've been thinking since you posted that reply a while what actually were the main things I took out of it. One thing has stuck with me as pretty profound was Steve Wilson mentioning that years ago there were sometimes record producers whose role was actually was pretty vague and one of them he mentioned can't remember the name but he was pretty important, but basically he did very little in terms of physically touching or doing anything, which is/was pretty unusual. All he did was sit back, pick up the vibe and listen, and think. And eventually he would pitch in with his advice. Steven reckoned this was important, to have someone removed from actually being responsible for anything in particular, but all the while just listening. I thought this was great.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Mike_S

And another tip I remembered, hoping it was from this video although could have been a different Rick Beato one was... a lot of the times recording vocals the third or fourth take was the best. No matter how hard you tried after this oftentimes the magic or whatever it was is gone and cannot be recreated. The first one or two you are obviously feeling the song out and then bang!... you go for it with passion and excitement. There is a magic there that's hard to tap into again.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Mike_S on February 18, 2023, 04:47:12 PMAnd another tip I remembered, hoping it was from this video although could have been a different Rick Beato one was... a lot of the times recording vocals the third or fourth take was the best. No matter how hard you tried after this oftentimes the magic or whatever it was is gone and cannot be recreated. The first one or two you are obviously feeling the song out and then bang!... you go for it with passion and excitement. There is a magic there that's hard to tap into again.

Mike

this I believe for sure... because I see it in my recordings... indeed.... you can create something different, but pretty much never as good.. or at least as passionate...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

WarpCanada

Here's another great tip about production and headroom. Listen all the way to the end to be sure you understand headroom, dithering, mastering versus mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V76L4PRSPFE
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

StephenM

Quote from: WarpCanada on July 17, 2023, 01:12:47 PMHere's another great tip about production and headroom. Listen all the way to the end to be sure you understand headroom, dithering, mastering versus mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V76L4PRSPFE

a good and quick and funny tutorial Warren!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24