Emily Elizabeth King

Started by StephenM, January 27, 2023, 03:05:19 PM

StephenM

Emily_Elizabeth_King (masterdesk)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This a story based on an actual event that happened a few weeks ago right close to home here in Catawba County, NC. 
The body of a woman around 36 was found discarded in a small piece of woods right near a rural road that has a good amount of traffic.  The tragedy struck me right in the heart.  Who was this woman, someone's daughter possibly someone's mother at one time, perhaps still.  I was somewhat heartbroken to hear it.  I had no idea who she was or any idea of the circumstances.  I was able to piece together that a woman of same name, no doubt the same person, was arrested for auto theft just last month (december). 
Armed with little else of these stories and a photo of her at the police station I conjured a possible story of how this came to be. 
I was talking with a man I know who drives school bus in the area and talks with alot of folks.  They think she was a drug addict that either died or was dying and the folks that knew her or with her didn't want the police coming near them so they dumped her and made an anonymous call about a body...again... this is not confirmed.  But the story is compelling and even though she was not a good person it doesn't mean she didn't matter.  I don't want her name to be so easily forgotten...

Emily Elizabeth King more likely to be on a wanted poster
than a convent nun.  Your face showed the scars and the sores
that often comes with addiction. 
Another wasted life, oh what could have been? 
You will be forgotten tomorrow or as soon as the news cycle ends.
But I will not forget your name you did not deserve your death.

Dumped in some woods over near Fred Foard.  Dumped in some woods.

You stole someones car back in December and someone judged you guilty.
Condemned to death by someone evil, someone you had wronged.
Maybe you didn't pay your dope bill, maybe you turned someone in. 
I don't know if anyone knows what happened to you hon.

It might have been a full moon night when your body was dumped in those woods.  It might have been a full moon night.  A sinister plot by sinister persons who lost their way in life. 

You will be forgotten tomorrow or as soon as the news cycle ends.
But I will not forget your name you did not deserve your death.

Dumped in some woods over near Fred Foard.  Emily Elizabeth King.

musically I had the idea of this song Wednesday after playing "Acid Queen" the Tina Turner version on guitar and bass for several hours.  Also having played along with Marks track about "Died On The Couch" I think it gave me some new ideas of progressions.  I was going to try and do a version of this at open mic but didn't go.  Today I wanted to record it.  I just couldn't get it right but I kept at it.  I played the Les Paul while I sang it.  I had to get the lyrics just right and where I could see them well.  So this is live Les Paul and one voice.  After that I added bass and backing vocals and then drums.  I managed to get a piano sound at the end for one chord.... not sure how that happened.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

Good gosh, this be dark. That whispery vocal panned far right was freaking me out. I like how sparse the drums are. Leaves lots of room for those vocals.

Blooby

Bluesberry

Not what I was expecting when I pressed play....and god god man was I pleasantly surprised......in a fantasticly good way....for such a dark song.....I freaking love this so damn much Steve.........brilliant is a word that is overused ...but it seems warranted.......it's like a David Lynch movie in musical form as done by Neil Young.......for a lost track on his Sleeps With Angels album.........with Tony Iommi along for inspiration..........did I say how much I flipping love this.....You have done some justice to this poor woman..........you did it up brother........you really did it..........you stayed understated and it works........too much would have been too much.......great one Steve.....seriously......I'm going back in for another listen.......

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 27, 2023, 03:46:32 PMNot what I was expecting when I pressed play....and god god man was I pleasantly surprised......in a fantasticly good way....for such a dark song.....I freaking love this so damn much Steve.........brilliant is a word that is overused ...but it seems warranted.......it's like a David Lynch movie in musical form as done by Neil Young.......for a lost track on his Sleeps With Angels album.........with Tony Iommi along for inspiration..........did I say how much I flipping love this.....You have done some justice to this poor woman..........you did it up brother........you really did it..........you stayed understated and it works........too much would have been too much.......great one Steve.....seriously......I'm going back in for another listen.......

I listened to Spandex and Spam this morning about 6 times.  I just couldnt get enough of that Canada vibe.  After listening to music my entire life and the major (and some minor) players/bands I think Canada music is a little different vibe.  You have that Dave... maybe since I grew up on BTO and Black Sabbath (not to mention The Guess Who and later Rush, April Wine, Triumph etc) i caught a little plus i lived only about (depending on the year) 25 to 100 miles south of Ontario in Lewis, Oneida counties... 
This song will be special to me and Im not even sure why.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

This isn't the Black Sabbath, nor it is the Ghost. I can hear echoes of Bathory in the production, but i doubt our good old Steve even knows about such band :D So i'm guessing the metal veins heard on this song are pure S!

I like the way you've taken the inspiration from a real world event and turned it into a musical picture that works as a "tribute", but also as a separate piece of art. I like those strummy pick noises, the doomy sound picture and the way you're using different kind of vocal parts to tell the story.

A short review would go: S goes Doom! Expect a call from Tony Iommi for stealing his riffs picked up from the sky before they got to him!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

This is actually a really dark tune but at the same time in a way it purges some of the dark feelings connected to this woman's death by facing them head on. A necessary tune done from the heart. This lady had a life and sadly she ended on a wrong path, how easily each of us could have taken a wrong turn. A human life is a human life. Great tune Steve, a deep listen.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

thetworegs

Like a lost sabbath track ...excellent dark atmosphere ... we won't be forgetting Emily quickly I think you've done her justice... great job Stephen

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

What a terrible story. It's inspired you to write this great song though. Great song writing and music. I loved how blueberry described the track..THATS spot on. I love the different vibes it has. Love the creepy whispered vocals. Great percussion and guitar tones.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ray Brookes

Lovely, dark, sinister and eerie all rolled into a sad story presented so well here.
Ray Brookes

Greeny

There were times when REM would go into this doom-laden sound. A huge and unsettling atmosphere, and excellent storytelling. It's a superb lyric: that 'You will be forgotten tomorrow or as soon as the news cycle ends' really got me. Brilliant stuff.

We need a DoomFest!