Mellow Joy- built-in mic test

Started by cranosjl, June 22, 2009, 11:07:57 PM

cranosjl

Mellow Joy
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hello All,

I just picked up my micro br this past weekend and this is the first recording i made with it (actually my first recording period). I love this thing!!!  Anyhow, I just laid down a little two chord riff and played an improve lead over it to test out the built-in mic. Did this in one take, sorry about the off notes and the length but I was having too much fun to stop!  Any comments are welcome!

Add info: Playing Sliver Creek T-170 with Dean Markley Pro-Mag PU through a Roland Mobile Cube about 8 feet away from the mic.  Had a little trouble setting the input levels but overall its not a bad little mic.  Just ordered a Sony ECM-DS70P today.  I heard that should work well with the BR.

Greeny

You're up and running. This is a very nice summery piece, and you're going to get a lot more fun from your BR. Just a question - why didn't you plug straight into the BR with the guitar? Also, remember you can pan the guitars to create a wider soundscape. Nice stuff though - looking forward to hearing more!

cranosjl

Thanks for the feedback!  I didn't plug in as I wanted to test out the built-in mic to see how it picked up my Mobile Cube.    I actually did pan the tracks off center (rhythm 10 left and lead 10 right).  Maybe that wasnt enough, I play around with it some more to see how it sounds.  The BR may be the best 100 bucks (got it used) I've ever spent in my life!  Amazing little machine and I haven't even scratched the surface!

The Reverend 48

You are on the Right track Well Done as Greeny says you would be able to play with the mixing a lot more if you went straight into your MBR

Bluesberry

It is the start of some brilliant music being made and posted on here by you, I predict.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cranosjl

I hope to realize your prediction!  Thanks for the encouragement!  -JLC

launched

I liked your first recording (And Post)! Very bright and fresh sound.

I agree /w Greeny that you should try direct drive - at least while learning the unit. I know it sounds like the wrong thing to do, but you will get better overall power and control of your recordings -  it is what the MBR was designed for.

But what the heck do I know? :D

Great first post - hope to hear more,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Satchwood

The MBR is an awesome little recorder for sure and you did a really nice "first ever" recording on it!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

cranosjl

Thanks for all the feedback!  Very much appreciated!

Wiley

Great job.  Yes the mbr is just a great tool.  I wouldn't be without one again. You are off to a great start.  Keep up the good work.
wiley