Quantum Extreme with Bass

Started by Ferryman, June 22, 2009, 07:29:41 PM

Ferryman

QXTBASS2
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Satchwood posted an amazing guitar workout a while back in his Time Traveler series called "Quantum Extreme". It had keyboard bass on it but was crying out for something a bit rockier. I asked if I could have a go and Tommy kindly sent me the track without bass. Here's my take. This is a bit outside my usual style of playing so I hope it works. This is challenging stuff to create a bass line to, I had to be careful not to overpower things but also avoid just chundering along on root notes.

Tommy hasn't heard this as yet, hope he likes it. I have another version with the bass a little more up front but I thought I would post the more conservative version first. This was mixed on a plane flight from the UK to Canada, great way to pass time on a long flight when you are stuck in the middle seat in economy with the largest person on the plane "sat" next to you  :'( I just love the MBR.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Was wondering what you were doing up!! (And now wondering what you are doing in Canada :D)

I had to run around the room and grab my socks because they were blown off!! A lot of folks don't know how tough a bass is to play - would love to have the chops you have!

I'm happy with this mix - strong and big powah(As they would say in Maine!!)

Really cool, man

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ferryman

Thanks! Glad you like it - appreciate the feedback. Am on a business trip so stuck in a hotel room doing email and working. So this site is keeping me sane right now...... But off to bed as jetlag is kicking in.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jim1970

Sounds Awesome!!!!!

Great Stuff!!

JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

galestermusic

Geezer Butler meets Satch YEAH!!!!! LOL

Greeny

This is fantastic. There's some very imaginative (and damn impressive!) bass on here, Nigel. Heavy but full of melodic fills and changes. I think you handled this perfectly, and it really works with Satch's jaw-dropping fret skills.

Hope the trip is going OK, and there's more to look at than a hotel room and a trouser press!

Bluesberry

That is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooood.  I can't believe how this bass line picks this up even further.  First, great composition, great godly guitar playing Satch.  This one really does something to me, there is a lot of feeling here.  Secondly, what a incredible bass line, it is damn near perfect.  It anchors the whole thing so well.  I am able to follow the bass and the guitar at the same time, which means the bass is perfect, it doesn't overpower but fills up and supports the wild guitar just perfect (I keep using that perfect word, damn english language, no real words to express something so beautiful and incredible as this!!!!).  This is a monster boys, a real monster.  I want to listen to this all day (I just might).  Whewwwwwww!!!!!

Where abouts in Canada are you Nigel?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 23, 2009, 05:02:54 AMThat is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooood.  I can't believe how this bass line picks this up even further.  First, great composition, great godly guitar playing Satch.  This one really does something to me, there is a lot of feeling here.  Secondly, what a incredible bass line, it is damn near perfect.  It anchors the whole thing so well.  I am able to follow the bass and the guitar at the same time, which means the bass is perfect, it doesn't overpower but fills up and supports the wild guitar just perfect (I keep using that perfect word, damn english language, no real words to express something so beautiful and incredible as this!!!!).  This is a monster boys, a real monster.  I want to listen to this all day (I just might).  Whewwwwwww!!!!!

Where abouts in Canada are you Nigel?
a monster indeed-stellar work -what a workout

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Wow guys, thanks everyone for the feedback. Greeny, Bluesberry, appreciate those words. I changed this around quite a lot and had to drastically simplify one part after I first recorded it because it was too much with the guitar. This is a really good piece - I can't get the riffs out of my head, keep humming them all the time. The drums have got a bit lost, so I'm hoping Satch will let me do a complete remix once he can get me the wav files, but I agree, this is a very cool tune.

I'm in lovely Ottawa today, arrived yesterday. Will be in meetings all day today then I have to fly to San Francisco for a day of meetings and then fly back to the UK. It sounds exciting but I am usually in hotel rooms staring at the trouser press and doing email, I rarely get to look around anywhere I visit.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

tafka

this sounds like you have been playing together for ever

very very very impressive and adictive too
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...