Using my BR800 through my amp

Started by Groundy, January 17, 2023, 08:04:05 AM

Groundy

I have had my 800 for some years now but only ever used it for recording, I tried to put it through my amp to use for vox but I am having trouble either too low or crackly I am obviously doing something wrong, I can play a song  that is already recorded on the 800 and it is clear as a bell so it must be me.,,,

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

T.C. Elliott

What kind of amp and what connection are you using? Typically line out etc., are susceptible to gain issues.  If you are using a mic into the BR and then the BR into the amp you have three gain stages to deal with. Make sure it's a low volume at each to start and then play with it and use a much lower volume coming out of the BR unit than you think you'll need before slowly raising it up.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Groundy

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on January 17, 2023, 09:28:37 AMWhat kind of amp and what connection are you using? Typically line out etc., are susceptible to gain issues.  If you are using a mic into the BR and then the BR into the amp you have three gain stages to deal with. Make sure it's a low volume at each to start and then play with it and use a much lower volume coming out of the BR unit than you think you'll need before slowly raising it up.
cheers pal,I had my mic into line in and a lead from my headphone socket to my amp,I said amp I was actually using an old pa system, but I am picking an amp up tomorrow.Thanks for your help...alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

WarpCanada

A much more orthodox technique would be to put a good microphone (SM58) into a preamp input on a mixer board, and put that into a PA speaker.  Guitar Amp speakers are not well suited for vocals.
The BR800 isn't a great choice for that, nor a guitar amp.  Unless by amp you mean something else, like a PA power amp.  Even there, mic -> mixer -> power amp -> unpowered PA speakers would be the orthodox idea.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

StephenM

I don't have an 800 but I have the BR1600 so it should be similar.  I have used my BR as a mixer to play through live.  I connect the mic and guitar like I would if I were recording and then send the line out to the PA speakers.  It works fine and that let me have some tracks recorded to play along too at times.  Now I use my Zoom R24 sometimes the same way. 
I would admit that the BR mic preamps leave a good bit to be desired so this is not a great way to mix live but it does work.
If the song recorded sounds good then the problem has to be with the mic connections.  Hope you get this ironed out ok..
I practice with equipment before using it live because there are always problems..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Groundy

Thanks Stephen, I will give it a try...

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR