"Jump (Heat of the Morning)"-Original EDM (or whatever)

Started by Johnbee, January 16, 2023, 08:35:39 AM

Johnbee

Jump (Heat of the Morning)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is especially for Steven M.  I originally recorded this back in 2016 but shelved it because I thought it was kinda stupid lyric-wise but I always loved the music. But since the music and beat seem to call for some kind of "novelty", I thought this could be a brief excursion into Electronic Dance Music (EDM).  In 2016 I bought the first VocalSynth Isotope offered so it turned out to be "Alvin & the Chipmunks" meets "Disco Duck".  The story is about a guy who can't dance and a gang of hip robots kidnap him and teach him the finer points of the art.  Stupid, I know, but who says you can't write a stupid song now and then.  I went back and remixed it recently to try to balance things out better.  My knowledge of mixing and gear I have now are better than they were in 2016.  Anyway, I hope y'all like it.

Not much hope.  Too many disco runnin' down the hall
Making time. Makin' sure I got what's mine
All I can do is beg for mercy
Climbing the walls.  Too many people tryin' to decide my groove
Foreign dreams.  What do they mean?  What does it matter?
Hey everybody, can you hear me?

Everyone who's anyone has just begun to see
I can't dance to save my soul
A cruel anomaly.

(Bozz, the Robot):
I may be the one to teach you to respect the groove
Hip Hop, Jazz & Techno House
will make you want to move

Takin' my chance.  Although I know I'll be trippin' over my own feet
Not really sure I'm movin' in the right direction
For all I know, it doesn't matter
It never seems that I can dream of dancin' on a fluffy cloud
Reality quickly sets in.  I'm denial all the time
What can I do?  I'm just so klutzy.

Everyone who's anyone can tell I'm really lost
I just want to move my feet
I'll never understand.  Can you?

(Bozz, the Robot):
If you follow my techniques you will  not crash and burn
And pretty women will provide you all the thrills you yearn

I may be the one to teach you to respect the groove
Hip Hop, Jazz & Techno House
Will make you want to move
If you follow my techniques you will  not crash and burn
And pretty women will provide you all the thrills you yearn

C 2016 John Bowen Music

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Bluesberry

Sweeeeeeeet song dude....I love this.....when the vocals came in it just took off........really well done......it's like Michael McDonald sat in with Ween for a session...I love stupid .....I would say quirky, (sounds better), and man did you nail this one ......it's like something off the McCartney II album......damn deadly stuff....I am so glad you finished it up and posted it......we're you wearing any spandex while recording that robot vocal?  I love this kind of quirky songwriting.....got any more in the can like this?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Excellent. I do love a bit of vocoder / robot vocals. It's a very slick song and constructed to your usual high standards. It's also as catchy as f*ck. Lots of clever, considered elements - that stuff around 3:40 is especially amazing.

StephenM

First off it's really cool that you thought of me!  Thanks! 

I do like off the wall music and lyrics, although I sort of can be serious as a musician too (not really just pretending)...

cool intro... very cool....

the echo keys are waywaywaywaywaycool...
gol dang man this is awesome... did you think this song sucked?  Maybe like a Dyson vacuum cleaner sucks... yeah... this sucks so good..
holy shite man... this sounds great....
I loved disco duck and The Chippies but this ain't that... lol..
your use of bass and drums is as always exceptional... major groove...
so even if you can't dance... your music beats make me dance.
love the effects on the vocals too..

this should be hit but I think that about so many of those songs that never get on the radio...
awe SUM Man

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Mike_S

That was great. I have listened a few times now. It definitely grows on repeated listens. It is fun and hey, who doesn't need some of that. Lot's of interesting things happening. It had a 70's disco feel to begin but it developed into something totally different. Have to say that sounds a bit like the great man Steve M himself in places especially in the outro!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

BerryPatch

Off the charts cool! This is definitely NOT a throwaway! Very quirky but brilliant arrangement, has particular tongue and cheek Steely Dan feel to it. The synths are wonderful here, I especially enjoy the last three minutes or so. So much going on here...swinging groove and great vocals!

Johnbee

Hi Bluesberry, Greeny, Steven M, Mike S & Berrypatch. :)
Thanks all for listening.  At least 5 people didn't think it's dumb which is encouraging.
 :) JB

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

WarpCanada

Quirky is right. And I love the robovocals.  The opening synth sounds sounded almost chiptune-esque so the rest of the track was a total surprise.   I think it's pretty good!
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

thetworegs

Loving this it's off the wall like they say it really kicks off when the vocal kicks in ...excellent loved it!!

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Frank53

Oh yeah, the music fantastic. Nicely written, arranged, and performed. Cool changes.
Nothing wrong with the lyrics. Good lament.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.