Mixing to a pink noise reference

Started by Zoltan, January 12, 2023, 12:39:14 PM

Zoltan

Oh great minds... Can someone explain mixing to a pink noise reference in layman terms and hopefully with only a short sentence? Why and would there be any real benefit?

The reason i'm wondering this is because Direct Approach plugins are now free and there's a plugin that does so called SpecTrend.

https://www.directap.com/

Here's a Sound on Sound article about the idea:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mixing-pink-noise-reference

Which i tried to read, but it only made me hungry. So i'm now going for a sandwitch :D Cu later!

(I could understand it better if it read "mixing to a punk noise").

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

T.C. Elliott

Without reading the articles I can tell you what I (usually) do in a couple of sentences.

I record on a BR-900 but I mix in Reaper on the computer. After importing all my tracks, I set the MDA Tone plugin to generate pink noise at about -6db (or -10 db depending) and then automute all the tracks. I solo the pink noise then solo each additional track one at a time lowering the gain until I can barely hear it (just about disappears into the noise.) After that's done I then remute the pink noise and start unmuting the tracks one at a time and begin mixing.

The idea is it gives you a base level for your tracks so that it's easier to get a balanced mix. I definitely feel it helps me get better results.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ted

I never even heard of it before, but this video is dumbed down enough for me:

And this guy tries it for the first time using GarageBand (like me), and he is happy with the results:

I'll probably give it a try. I can already imagine how I might use it in the Micro BR (just need to have two spare virtual tracks).

Here is the pink noise file linked to in the first video.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Thanks for the comments! I guess it's worth a try. That plugin might be worth checking out if one works with a DAW. It looks like it saves a few steps and makes things faster. And one doesn't have to listen to the pink noise at all.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

T.C. Elliott

I just grabbed the free plugins but I probably won't have time to try them out for a quite a while. I have mixed feelings about spectrend but I think I would want to try it out and see if the results are what I would want. I can honestly say I'm still struggling with balance, especially in the low mids and lows.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London